2004 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 2.0 from North America

Summary:

You cannot get a better car for the money

Nothing.

General Comments:

This is an excellent car with excellent handling characteristics. It is very much on par with my 1982 BMW 528e and understand why one reviewer called it the modern day BMW 2002.

I was concerned with going to a smaller car since I usually take long roadtrips with friends, although they find it every bit as comfortable as my old Saab 9000. The drivers seat is very comfortable with excellent adjustment mechanisms.

My only gripe with the car was that it lacks a little low end torque, but otherwise the Elantra is fantastic.

Review Date: 4th August, 2005

28th Jun 2006, 22:38

Handles well after you get rid of the factory tyres. It's a modern day Datsun 510!

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT from North America

Summary:

Overall, good value for the price

Passenger airbag light stays on when seat is occupied - intermittent problem. Dealer was not able to replicate problem or find solution.

Gas mileage has slipped badly from 30+ MPG last summer to about 25 MPG this summer despite same driving pattern. Tire pressure is OK, air filter is clean, service done at regular intervals - not sure why the MPG are dropping.

General Comments:

Very comfortable seats.

Kenwood CD/MP3/Radio has great sound.

Lots of storage space for stuff in the cabin and the hatchback is huge.

Hatchback has a nice sporty look, similar to Saab 9.3 my wife drives.

Not as much acceleration from a stop or for passing as with other 5-speed manual cars I drove.

Review Date: 22nd July, 2005

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 2.0 CRDi from Croatia

Summary:

This car makes me smile

Absolutely no problems.

General Comments:

This car is true pleasure to drive.

It has excellent engine with lot of torque.

Design is nice and dynamic after face-lift in 2004.

Interior is designed little bit out of date, but quality of materials is very good.

Review Date: 5th July, 2005

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback from North America

Summary:

An OK car for the price

The Passenger airbag off light goes on even when there is a passenger.

There was nothing (not even in the owners manual) that showed me how to work the radio.

General Comments:

I have contacted a few Hyundai dealerships about the airbag, and they all want to charge me for them looking at the car. It is still under warranty.

Review Date: 25th February, 2005

25th Feb 2005, 22:06

I just bought a Elantra (05) your comment of dealer wnanted a fee to look at something as important as air bags that scared me, one of the major reason I bought this car is for the warranty, but I think I didn't read the fine prints : (

Keep us updated.

6th Mar 2005, 22:14

(You can't possibly be a decent driver if you can't figure out how to work a radio,)

I think the radio on GT came with something call MP3 stuff that might made the control little bit complicated.

(what an airbag light means, or why you have to PAY people to work on your car. (it's called a deductible) )

There should not be any deductible on oringal warrant work.

21st Apr 2006, 16:56

There is currently a recall on the 04 Hyundai Elantra for the airbag sensor, if you google search it it should pop up and just take that to the dealership nearest you and they'll set yu up. A word of caution it will probably require you leaving your car a day or more.

Goodluck.

2004 Hyundai Elantra XD MY04 2.0L 16v from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Zero image, but good value

Drivers seat a bit loose - yet to be seen to.

Paintwork has blistered and flaked off in places on all the flat panels; the bonnet, boot lid and roof. After a little fight, Hyundai Australia are now repainting the above mentioned panels, not under the 5 year warranty, but as a "good will" gesture...

Other than that, its been an OK set of budget wheels!

General Comments:

Cheap car, for same price as a Jazz, less than a Fiesta, and much much less than similar sized Golfs and Focus', a load of kit for the money.

I got the windows tinted so no one can see me driving it, I'm the only other male under 55 I've seen in one ;-)

Seriously, so far, apart from the paint issues, its been a good experience.

Review Date: 1st February, 2005

8th Apr 2005, 09:14

Why would you buy a car you don't want to be seen in? by the sounds of things you would have been better off with a BMW wagon or something... you know, wouldn't want to destroy your image.

I own a Hyundai Elantra Elite, and it's an excellent car. and I'm only 17 and choose to buy this as my first car because I loved it.