1991 Jeep Cherokee Reviews

Year of manufacture1991
First year of ownership2009
Most recent year of ownership2013
Previous carFord Focus

Summary:

Legendary SUV

Melted light switch.

Cruise control dead.

Peeling roof.

Door panel buttons falling out or not working.

Inside door handle pulls out from the door.

Notorious Bendix 9 brake system (ABS) - one pump dead, right rear wheel not braking at all.

Handbrake out of order.

Engine cooling liquid - vanishing somewhere.

Engine seal leaking all over, from rear seal to power steering (previous owner used synthetic oil, which chewed all the gaskets).

Main lights, side indicators etc. working on some strange pattern.

Hazard light working only if the engine is running.

Horn spitting plastic and rust.

Speedometer not working.

Windshield fluid tank leaking - cracked.

Brake lights not working - switch on the brake pedal (worn out solder).

Vacuum bottle missing.

Exterior door handles brake off - bolts crack from rust deterioration.

Broken lock on center console.

Peeling window trim.

Rear wiper broken off - good for squirting cars behind you.

Rust, rust and more rust - rusty doors and entire floors with big holes hidden with carpet.

Leaking water on passenger side after each rain - fresh air vent seal leaking.

Fan blower motor rattling.

Muffler gasket leaking on engine - due to clogged muffler (and they say the engine won't start if you have clogged muffler).

General Comments:

Well it ain't all that black, since you can see what previous owners did to this Jeep, and still it will always turn on, even with rusty sparks - my mechanic still talks about this today when he saw how my Jeep ran on rusty sparks.

The previous owner did no maintenance as you can read in the fault list, and still the Cherokee XJ survived - it is just a legendary vehicle.

Had to rebuild all the wiring (the way I wanted to) and cut off useless items like cruise/night light switch/security/etc.

Fixed a lot of faults from above, mostly home made and even better than the original.

The faults still remaining are rust/air vent/Bendix 9 - just started out replacing the rust with new steel plates, and next is taking out the air vent, fixing the leak and rotor, and after that replacing the Bendix 9 with vacuum type brakes.

I even drove the Cherokee without engine oil for some time, and guess what, it still runs like a baby.

I just love it, from all that abuse before, it never let me down, not even on the snow/mud/rock or rain overflowing roads. It just keeps on going where all the fancy cars/SUVs always get stuck.

I'm just lucky the police didn't catch me yet, since in dense traffic or roundabout or road construction, I always find an alternate 4x4 route, from parks over embankments through road construction - the Jeep Cherokee XJ makes you feel special.

They don't make them as before, and I ain't giving this one up, no way.

The negative side is only vehicle registration and licensing fees in my country are 700EUR for 12 months. As for mileage, I use LPG so it's nothing really "for now at least".

Review Date: 29th May, 2013

1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4.0L I-6 from North America

Model year1991
Year of manufacture1991
First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 4.0L I-6 Automatic
Previous carHonda Passport

Summary:

I love Jeeps!

This Jeep is amazing. It is my third Jeep; all three have had the 4.0L I-6 and 4x4. They have all been extremely reliable. They aren't the best of MPG's, but I don't really care, I love my Jeeps.

General Comments:

I have had 3 Jeeps, they have all been great. I got my recent one just a few days ago; it's 20 years old and only has 109,000 miles, and is completely perfect, inside and out.

All three of my Jeeps have had the same 4.0L motor and 4x4. I have had no major trouble with any of them, and I am so glad to have another. It really is a Jeep thing, and no one would understand. I think it's either you love them, or don't like them. They have their own ways; they sound different and drive different than anything else. I love them, and plan to always have one.

It has plenty of power, I like the rugged looks, I like the go anywhere nature, I like the way that even though it's 20 years old, it still has a classic iconic look that started the SUV craze.

Review Date: 9th May, 2011