1995 Jeep Cherokee Reviews

1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 4.0 High Output 6 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 4.0 High Output 6 cylinder Automatic
Previous carFord Ranger

Summary:

Dependable with the 4.0 liter engine

Changed water pump (bad bearing) at 138,000 miles.

Paint is peeling.

General Comments:

The Jeep Cherokee XJ is a great SUV with a great 4.0 liter engine. It also has a good automatic (AW4) transmission. It's not that flashy, nor is it ergonomically friendly inside, but it's a Jeep - what do you expect. I haven't had any problems with it.

Also, there's a lot of XJs around, so there's a lot of used and aftermarket parts for it.

Review Date: 30th December, 2010

1995 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L high output straight 6 from UK and Ireland

First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission 4.0L high output straight 6 Automatic
Distance when acquired120000 miles
Most recent distance122000 miles
Previous carLand Rover 90

Summary:

Brilliant

Nothing went wrong. It runs fine.

The power mode is great; increases the rev range before it changes gear.

When running at 70mph, I swear to god that it will not pass 1750 rpm, and I've been 110mph, and it only does 3000rpm; it's great, it revs really low because of the overdrive.

The Land Rover I had before couldn't even get past 75mph. It is great that the Jeep hits all the right buttons. I would easily drive it for 24 hours straight.

The electric leather seats are brilliant. They have no damage, and all the electrics still work.

The engine rocks the car when you rev it. That is the massive amount of power it has. I made some mods to it, and now it has 250hp from its original 180hp, and it will do 0-60mph in about 6 seconds. It absolutely tears.

Insurance was a grand, which is not bad for an 18 year old.

Review Date: 18th August, 2010

1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 from North America

First year of ownership1995
Previous carJeep Cherokee

Summary:

Not too frilly, but downright tough

Replaced the radiator, power steering pump, water pump (three times), serpentine belt (three times), thermostat (three times), exhaust system, flange gasket in exhaust manifold, and added a transmission cooler.

I've also replaced the brakes at least 4 times.

All these repairs were done over the course of over 317,000 miles.

General Comments:

Dollar for dollar, this has been a tough rig to beat. We bought this Jeep new back in 1995, and I am still driving it today. It now has over 317,000 miles on it, and the engine and transmission have never been rebuilt. The inline six has real snap to it.

I've used the Cherokee to tow a utility trailer, motorcycle trailer loaded with dirtbikes, dog trailer loaded with equipment and four large dogs, and our family tent trailer. We even owned an old style, really heavy, travel trailer at one point. The Jeep hauled that around as well, although it got downright scary at times.

I've owned three Jeep Cherokees. The first was a 1988, and that rig was still running strong when I sold it at 267,000 miles. My wife currently drives a 1996 Cherokee, and has 167,000 on it. These inline 6 cylinder motors are good ones. Keep the oil changed, and they just keep going.

Review Date: 25th December, 2009

25th Dec 2009, 09:14

My mother has a 1995 too, and the thing is bulletproof. It has 200,000 miles on it. It has the same engine, same transmission, etc. She has replaced items that go bad on any car like a radiator, etc.

The funny thing is she has been waiting for this car to die as an excuse to get a new car, but it won't die. With proper maintenance she will get 300,000 no problem.

7th Feb 2014, 23:31

This is a follow up to my original comments on my 95 Jeep Cherokee. Well, I finally sold the old Jeep. It had 357,000 miles on it when I sold it, and it was still running strong. Maybe not quite as strong as it used to be, but the motor or transmission never did have to be rebuilt. I was going to keep it, just to see how long it would go, but the wife said sell, so that's how it goes. Fortunately we still have a 96 Cherokee, and it's going strong as well. It has a mere 220,000 miles on it. So, I plan to be in a Cherokee for quite some time yet.