2003 Jeep Liberty Limited 3.7 V6 from North America

Front door speakers blew.

General Comments:

Gas mileage is 18.6 MPG. Not bad for a Jeep.

I have read reports of sludge in the engine; mine has 107,000 miles, no problem. Took it to the garage; was told to make sure to change the oil every 3000 miles. The 3.7 is known for sludge build up. Put a good grade of oil in it.

Does very good in snow, rain. It's all in the driver, and of course tires and air pressure.

Good inside space for size, but seats feel too skinny to me.

Ordered a computer chip to see if I can get the fuel mileage up a little.

Review Date: 10th February, 2011

2003 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition 3.7L V6 from North America

Summary:

A good car for the money, but could have better fuel economy

Had to replace the battery, because the old one got a crack in the top of it.

The rear defroster stopped working, and had to be fixed.

No major problems.

General Comments:

This car is a great car for the money I paid.

It is comfortable to drive around, and it has a lot of power, the fuel economy could be improved though (it gets the lowest of its rating).

The inside of this car is much nicer than I expected, with the leather seats, the overhead console, and the sunroof.

Review Date: 21st December, 2010

2003 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain 3.7 from North America

Summary:

Great car needs to be more fuel efficient to compete with Japanese competitors

Drive line yolk failed at 80000.

Thermostat housing blew at 70000.

All doors had to be repainted at 60000 because weather strip rotted away (thank god I got warranty on that).

Transfer case switch went at 145000km.

Windshield cracked at 20000km.

Did a full brake job at 90000, and again at 130000km.

Had to do brake combi-kit at 138000km.

Front axle steering components at 70000km.

General Comments:

Car is reliable and tough. Be aware that the axle fluid has to be changed every 20000km. It's cost $400 canadian to get both axles done.

I bought a 7 year 1600000km warranty for this vehicle, because I want to keep it for a long time.

I like the Liberty overall, but it has cost me $9400.00 to own it for the past 8 years (that's with a bumper to bumper warranty).

Vehicle feels strong mechanically, but the seats are not impressive.

Review Date: 1st March, 2010

4th Mar 2010, 11:19

Thank you for your review. I found it to be very honest and informative. I've witnessed a '92 Ford break its yoke under serious abuse. The truck itself had 150,000 miles on it. I hope that your repair was an isolated incident. I was looking into one of these SUV's or a Dakota with the same powertrain, and was deterred due to the fuel mileage. However, in reality it's very rare to find a V6 with a manual gear box in it, and have a 4WD or AWD combo that gives a 20MPG or better.

2003 Jeep Liberty Limited 3.7 liter from North America

Summary:

Overall good vehicle

I have found 3 things causing the 03 Liberty to overheat.

#1 The radiator, if not flushed every 6 months, will build up a deposit in the bottom and stop the flow of water. Flushing it will not guarantee that all of the deposit will come out. I had to put in a new radiator.

#2 The thermostats for these models stick a lot by what I have found. I think it has to do with that deposit build up. May also be the fluid (different than regular antifreeze).

#3 Found that the plug for electric fan always has a loose connection. Have replaced it four different times (ended up hard wiring it).

General Comments:

Overall it's been a good vehicle, not great. My 93 Wrangler gets that spot. Probably will not buy another Liberty. Have not had the problems with sludge or transmission. Although I will get it checked.

Review Date: 20th September, 2009

2003 Jeep Liberty from North America

Summary:

It's a poorly manufactured vehicle

It has been recalled twice.

I had to replace the alternator once and have gone through 2 batteries in 2 years at no fault of mine (i.e. I didn't leave the lights on, etc.).

Neither of the rear electric windows will open anymore and neither will the doors from the inside. It is no longer under warranty so I would have to pay to have them fixed myself.

The AC stops cooling for about 30 minutes a day at any time, and then comes on by itself without any intervention.

General Comments:

It is a shame because I purchased this Jeep Liberty because my previous car was a Jeep Cherokee that I was extremely satisfied with. The poor quality of the Liberty and the fact that they no longer manufacture the Cherokee will most likely make me a VW customer in the near future.

Review Date: 25th April, 2009

5th Oct 2012, 10:20

Outside of the USA, the Liberty is still called the Cherokee.