2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade 3.7 from North America

Don't Do It! - Major Electrical Problems!

The transmission slips, and there is a mysterious short somewhere in the charging system that no one can find...

General Comments:

This vehicle is the most frustrating vehicle I have ever owned. Transmission started slipping after the first 2000 kms of ownership (I guess they're known for that). But that's only when I can get the thing started. There's some sort of drain in the charging system which is killing my battery that no one can find. So far I have replaced the battery, the alternator, and the battery terminal cables. I have had it in the shop 3 times to be looked at. It's not the starter, the solenoid... who knows?

The Chrysler guy said they have problems with the wiring harness from 2002-2004. Most of it is located under the carpet, so they'll have to take out the seats and tear up the carpeting, then test each wire one by one...I'll trade the lemon in, before I do that!

Review Date: 16th February, 2009

2004 Jeep Liberty 3.7L from North America

More utility than sport

Needed O2 sensor @ 11000kms.

Rear window rattles.

Plastic dash scratches easy.

Stereo could be better.

Not a lot of Jam for a motor that size.

General Comments:

I have so far put 38,000kms on this Jeep, with nothing more than routine things like fluids and tires.

It is a Jeep, it's rough and not exactly easy on fuel.

For a 3.7L, I do not think it is any harder than any other SUV with a similar motor. If you want gas mileage, then you should consider a Honda CRV or something.

I am not nice to this vehicle, yet it still manages to take a beating.

It is excellent in snow with a good set of tires. I am currently running Cooper snow-grove.

So far has been a decent second hand car, and can be purchased at a good price.

Review Date: 8th October, 2008

2004 Jeep Liberty Sport Trail Rated 3.7 Litre V6 from North America

The "Check Engine Light" came on. The "Check Engine Light" came on and started to flash on and off. Jeep was towed to the dealer. Dealer ran the diagnostic and 3 hours later told me that the heads had to be replaced. Seems a piston was miss-firing. They kept the Jeep for 2 weeks to complete the repair. Seems all the 3.7 Litre heads up to a certain year are defective and they are fixed/replaced as they come in. Not a recall item item as it is not a safety issue/problem. Item repaired under warranty. Total cost = $5K. Told at the time of the repair that Jeep has fixed the defective head and problem will not re-occur. Its been 6 months and almost 5,000 km later and so far so good.

Does the rear differential require synthetic oil? I've been told that Liberty's with the tow package (which is what I have) require it.

Review Date: 17th September, 2008

2004 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L V6 from North America

Overall this is a good solid vehicle

Recalled for the handle in the hatch.

Brake issues.

General Comments:

I bought this Jeep about a month ago.

The interior features, performance, fuel economy and storage are fantastic.

The problem lies with the random brake malfunction; first off, I started to notice it a day after I bought the vehicle. I was getting up to speed and around 28-30mph, it started to rumble from what felt like the transmission, and almost seemed like the brakes were applied, or it was misfiring.

I took the Jeep in to the dealer. We (myself and the tech) came to the conclusion that the previous owner had not used the emergency brake, but instead left it in gear (leaving me with the challenge of breaking it in). This was an extremely inaccurate guess, is the new conclusion. I am going to take the Jeep apart myself in the next step.

If anyone has any information on this problem, please contact me at severynmarsh@yahoo.com, thank you very much.

Review Date: 20th March, 2008