2000 Land Rover Discovery Reviews

Model year2000
First year of ownership2009
Most recent year of ownership2011
Previous carChevrolet Camaro

Summary:

Lemon, Lemon, Lemon. Expensive mistake

Transmission, drive shaft, cams, u-joints (front). All this is an engineering flaw -- the u-joints are next to the catalytic converter that runs at a zillion degrees, frying the grease out of these little $3 u-clips. They go, the drive shaft blows up and impales the tranny. Presto! $6000 in damage without any notice (the mechanic says they usually go at 75,000-90,000 miles. Gee, thanks). Got it fixed with online parts, limped along, paid the bill and BAM! The head gasket went.

Paid $6900 to buy it, spent more than that to fix it and traded it in for $2500. An $11,000+ mistake.

General Comments:

Drives rough. Gas guzzler. Expensive parts, expensive repairs.

Does not live up to the Land Rover great reputation for British quality (Yes, I know Ford bought them). The rep is totally overblown.

Review Date: 22nd March, 2011

21st Jan 2012, 11:11

I agree. I made an expensive mistake with this car. It did however save my life in a bad accident though. It's built really rigid... the roof and sides.

2000 Land Rover Discovery SE 4.0 from UK and Ireland

First year of ownership2010
Previous carLand Rover Series 2

Summary:

Reliable and a beast. Power when you need it, with luxury

Lower arm bushes. A pain in the ass... a lot of money.

General Comments:

Well mine was a full Overfinch, super chipped out, and fully pimped out interior... fast as fxxk... now in Gibraltar... loving it...

Review Date: 22nd January, 2011

2000 Land Rover Discovery 4.0 V8 from North America

First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 4.0 V8 Automatic

Summary:

The most refined, durable, and capable SUV on the market.

Replaced thermostat.

Replaced rear air suspension bags.

Tune-Up ($20 a spark plug! But more than worth it)

Random rattles over bumps.

Both sunroofs are rattling.

Fixed it all for $1100

General Comments:

This is my first car, and words can't describe how much I love it.

The timeless, boxy, unique style is what drew my attention to this luxury beast.

I did my homework and found a great one with only 71,000 miles. I have to say that I am more than happy with it.

Its off road capabilities are ridiculous, while it's terrific on the road. It has this unique hum to the motor and a great sounding transmission shift.

Acceleration is not a problem at all. It has all the power I would ever need, while I'm not mistaking it for a sports car. You sit up so high, feeling like king of the road.

I am planning to keep this truck forever.

You really can't compare anything to this, especially a jeep. I know, jeep is good off-road, but this is outstanding in all aspects outside of the fact that it too is exceptional off-road. I really can't get my point accross enough about how much I love this car.

If you are looking into getting one, do yourself a huge favor and buy one. Please don't let the other reviews scare you, these are truely reliable cars. Buy one that has been well maintained, and it should last you 200k miles. You get what you put into the car. I meticulously maintain mine, and it seems to be doing just fine.

The rear door leaks at the top? Is there anyway to fix this? I've tried aftermarket sealing, but it seems to make it worse? Any solutions? Please?

What are the best ways to get rid of some of the rattles? It gets frustraiting sometimes whenever I'm driving down bumpy Texas roads, and the car feels like it's rattling itself to pieces. I feel like I'm not taking care of it, but I can't go 5 mph in a 45..

Review Date: 2nd June, 2010

13th Oct 2010, 09:30

Mine did the same thing and there is a way to move the rear door slightly inward by unbolting it. I was able to push it inward a little bit and retighten the bolts. That solved the leak problem once and for all.

23rd Oct 2010, 23:00

Thanks for your advice. I've tried everything but this, hopefully this will work!

2000 Land Rover Discovery TD 2.5 turbo diesel from Australia and New Zealand

Model year2000
Engine and transmission 2.5 turbo diesel Automatic

Summary:

Yes it's true, Land Rovers are unreliable

Turbo went, 160k kms, $3500.

All wires shorted and melted behind firewall.

Various parts stripping (qualified LR mechanic services).

General Comments:

Great car as a 4wd, all the bells and whistles, but reliability issues are just not worth the hassle.

Seats are uncomfortable - driving position is good however.

Plenty of power, but bit sluggish on the tow.

I was told not to do it - I was loyal to Land Rover, but now am not. Please don't buy unless you can afford to keep forking out $ every service.

Review Date: 3rd March, 2010