2000 Land Rover Discovery Reviews - Page 3 of 6

Model year2000
Year of manufacture1999
Engine and transmission 4.0 V8 Automatic
Previous carVolkswagen Jetta

Summary:

Solid machinery with slight glitches

The windshield washer fluid nozzles don't spray any fluid.

The key broke.

The cruise control doesn't work.

The brakes wear easily.

General Comments:

This 2000 Discovery runs great and the engine makes that genuine Land Rover hum. The transmission shifts awkwardly, but I wouldn't say it's bad, it's just how it is. The brakes squeak really bad. The dealer told me that the rotors are to the manufacturers specifications width and the pads are pretty much new. They said that the rotors get a glaze on them which creates the squeak when braking at very low speeds. I have also noticed the temperature gage has been trickling a little bit past the middle point when idling for more than a couple minutes, but it never gets too high or near the red zone, just noticeably different. This car is fun to drive, even though it is quite sluggish. When in the "S", meaning "sport" mode, it will move if you want it too, but then you will be visiting many gas stations for fill-ups. It is a very smooth and comfortable ride on the highway and especially around town. You feel safe driving a big, heavy car. The off-road capabilities are amazing around here on the beach and in the sand dunes. I would definitely buy another Land Rover or Range Rover in the future. Mine has 95,560 miles on it and runs and sounds like it did 6 years ago. There are just some minor, not mechanical kinks with the car that I have just been able to easily ignore.

Review Date: 4th May, 2005

9th Feb 2006, 21:42

A 5000# British bohemoth vs a japanese sports car... depends on your taste.. I like the Disco2..although I do miss the 28 mpg from my 98 3000GT, but I needed a 7-passenger vehicle, and a minivan would never be an option again..I'm glad I got the Rover, now if only I could find some REAL off-road equipment...

16th May 2010, 10:42

I have had a Land Rover Disco 2 and I am glad I got rid of it. It had low miles (113k), but it has some really pain points like the motor computer, water pump, brakes, electronic parts. It is so much fun driving, but maintaining it is key. Make sure you buy one with 110% reliable books.

30th Jun 2011, 20:55

I am thinking in buy a Land Rover Discovery 2000 V8 with 105.000 miles on it. I don't know anything about Land Rover. Can someone can help me with info.

Gas X gallon?

Maintenance cost?

What problems will I find if I buy it?

Thank you very much.

2000 Land Rover Discovery II 4.0 from North America

Year of manufacture2000
Previous carFord Taurus

Summary:

Different. That's why you'll like it

Front differential vent not sealed correctly, caused a speed sensitive whining noise. Repaired with genuine LR replacement.

A few mystery rattles in the dash and doors.

Clicking nose coming from the "ACE" package relay box underneath passenger running board.

General Comments:

Until I drove one, I hadn't even considered a Discovery. It handles much better than the Explorer I once owned, thanks to the Performance Package aka "ACE" which offers factory 18 inch wheels and a hydraulically controlled suspension.

Roomy and comfortable inside, with supportive seats and my friends love the stadium seating-like rear seat.

Do you have dual sunroofs in your SUV? I do!!

The 4.0 provides adequate acceleration, but it loses to just about everything at a stop light. Its burdened with a full load, and the best MPG I have calculated is 17 on the freeway.

Off road, I can hold my own with the legendary capabilities Land Rover offers. Even with less than aggressive tires, I have little trouble in deep sand or mud.

I love the unique styling and the class of the Discovery.

So aside from a few annoyances and subpar MPG, you get a lot of SUV for your money.

Review Date: 29th August, 2004