2002 Land Rover Freelander Reviews

Model year2002
Year of manufacture2002
Engine and transmission 2.0L turbo diesel Manual
Previous carVauxhall Vectra

Summary:

Liked this car, but expensive to repair

Back seat, when folded flat, would not return to upright.

Fuel injector failure.

Electric window winder failure.

Another electric window winder failure.

Another fuel injector failure.

Third electric window winder failure.

Clutch failure at 98.000.

Needed a complete rear light assembly, for the sake of a replacement indicator bulb.

General Comments:

Did actually like this car, and it towed my caravan with ease.

Expensive to repair, when things go wrong.

Rear seat assembly replaced under warranty eventually, after the dealer supplied the wrong part three times.

An injector failed, and left us needing a tow in. Cost to me, over £400.

The electric windows start to fail; to replace these, it will cost you around £150 each for your passenger doors. If the one on the back door goes, that will set you back over £200.

Another injector cost me over £300 when I broke a contact while replacing an indicator bulb. No problem thinks I, just get another bulb holder?.

Sorry sir, we don't sell bulb holders... but we can sell you a complete light... Oh and that will be around £50.

Now I don't have a problem replacing the clutch at 98,000 miles. What I do have is a problem with the cost of doing so. £1,700 at the dealers, or £1.500 at a 4-4 repairers.

My TD4, has now been sold. I won't be buying another one.

Review Date: 15th August, 2010

3rd Dec 2011, 01:32

I agree. I bought a 2002 Land Rover Freelander in KY in 2005. This has been nothing but a headache. I replaced the transmission/engine/heater coil. The coil was causing coolant to be dumped into the floorboard, and now the SRS light will not go off.

I am active duty military, just stationed in Germany, and I can't even pass their vehicle inspection because of the SRS light. I am forced to go to the dealer and pay their astronomical prices. Do not buy, and I wish I could join a group of people with a good attorney to do a class action against this manufacturer.

Any suggestions on the SRS light?

My advice: Run the other way screaming if you are thinking of buying this vehicle.

2002 Land Rover Freelander from North America

Year of manufacture2002
Distance when acquired42000 miles
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

The new mechanic said, "It's not worth fixing, just drive until it dies."

I have an 02 Freelander.

I have it serviced at the dealer for all required services. They did some warranty work when I first got it, but the results were always questionable. Nothing has ever really been fixed.

The car clunks in the back when accelerating. Everyone says U joints, dealer said they didn't know, but it wasn't that, not U joints.

Coolant smell with defrost. Everyone said water pump, but was the thermostat. Replaced the thermostat for over $1500 to find that when the dealer did warranty work on replacing intake manifold gaskets, a repair was not made; had original seals. Still has coolant leak smell. Was told the pressure test could blow additional things, so not to do it.

It just started leaking oil. Luckily I checked (no oil on the dipstick at all) but no oil light came on.

'Needs Service' light is on, and so it won't pass emissions, and after dealing with faulty codes forever, finally got a waiver.

I also take issue with the wire for the airbag under the passenger seat, so I drive around with the airbag light on too.

Rear right passenger window works intermittently.

Rear window always freezes and I can't open the tailgate. It appears to be bad design.

Not so happy with it being listed as a "cash for clunkers vehicle" and severely destroying any resale value left.

General Comments:

I really like the off road AWD features, including the down hill assist and the front window defrost here for the snow.

It has never left me stranded.

It rides rough. You can't hear anyone talking in the back, even without the A/C on.

My paint is fine and it's outside a lot. No problems with the mirrors either as some reviewers have mentioned.

Definitely not the fine luxury European automobile it is perceived to be.

Review Date: 22nd May, 2010

4th Jun 2011, 21:30

Same thing with my 02 Freelander... Please do not waste your money on this kind of truck...