2000 Lexus RX Reviews - Page 9 of 13

2000 Lexus RX 300 from North America

Year of manufacture2000
Previous carFord Ranger

Summary:

Great buy

We've had a few sensors go on the vehicle and also the brakes needed replacement. Gas mileage isn't great, we get about 20 miles to the gallon, but its pretty expensive in comparison to some of the newer SUV's out.

General Comments:

We've loved this car so far. There are a few bad things, like the turning radius, an awful noise when you only roll down one window, the cup holders are a nuisance, and there is no spot for coins. Otherwise the car has been a dream and is the snow machine. We live in Wisconsin and its more reliable in snow storms than our 4 x 4 truck!! Very quiet.

Review Date: 8th August, 2007

2000 Lexus RX 300 3.1 gas from North America

Model year2000
Year of manufacture1999
Engine and transmission 3.1 gas Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Suburban

Summary:

It is an over-priced Toyota

After $3000+ in repairs for the main seals leaking, the rear seals leaking, timing belt replacement, and all other belts replaced, my check engine light appeared, mockingly, and I brought it to the dealership. They inform me that my engine is being replaced. They made no mention of the class action lawsuit that prompted the replacement, but I soon received a letter regarding it and all the models affected. I complained about the $3000 charge, but got no satisfaction from the dealership, but only the explanation, "We had no way of knowing that the engine was going to develop 'sludge'." Yeah, right.

Now, with less than 1000 miles on the new engine, and almost $800 in new tires and alignments, my check engine light comes on again, the car is making awful noises under the dash like a speaker is blown, and the transmission seems to not ever get into first gear. I am now the proud owner of a car needing a $5000 transmission and fuse box. A fuse box. Excellent. I am hoping for a recall or another class action lawsuit. I may even start the lawsuit.

General Comments:

The car handles well, has a decent stereo, and is fun to drive when one isn't worrying about repairs.

Oh how I wish I had done some research here before I let my wife buy the car.

Review Date: 5th January, 2007

6th Jan 2007, 00:01

That's exactly how mine went. I mean, they're really nice cars and all, but they have major problems that the dealers don't seem to want to explain. as it sits right now, I'm nearly $8000 into major repairs. it seems that everything else, the little things, are perfect and well crafted, but the transmissions and engine problems are terrible.

And I gotta admit, driving down the interstate at 75 and having your transmission fail isn't the greatest feeling, and its enough to shake anyones loyalty to a car manufacturer

6th Jan 2007, 00:43

I loved my RX300. If it weren't for the transmission going out id still have it. All the conveniences in the car worked great. The a/c and stereo are the best I've encountered and my wifes Mercedes has Bose which was suppose to be the best. The dealer had a 1998 GS400 when I took the RX in after the transmission went out. I bought the GS400 because of what I had heard about them and it was all true. It was used so I was a little hesitant, but with 152,000 miles its still going great. I've put over 100,000 on this car and its great. The transmission problem must only be the RX models.

2000 Lexus RX 300 4WD 6 cylinder from North America