2000 Lexus RX Reviews

2000 Lexus RX 300 AWD 3.0 from North America

Year of manufacture1999
Most recent year of ownership2011
Previous carLexus LS

Summary:

This has been the best car that we've ever owned, and certainly the most reliable

Driving home from the 60,000 mile service, the newly replaced timing belt broke. The dealer had to replace the engine.

The fuel cap not being properly tightened after filling the tank, caused a $600 device to fail.

The engine burns only premium fuel.

General Comments:

We live in the country, and drive unimproved roads daily. The AWD works effortlessly, but fuel economy is not as good as we would like.

We use the car for long trips as well, and find the seating to be comfortable.

The sound system is superb, as is the climate control.

We have owned many luxury German brands, but the Lexus has had stellar performance, and the RX300 is our favorite of them all.

Review Date: 9th December, 2011

5th Dec 2013, 00:10

You got taken on the gas cap = a $600 repair. Impossible.

RX300 = dang good car, I agree!!

6th Dec 2013, 13:57

We had the same issue with the timing belt with our 1999 RX300 - also while driving home from the dealer.

Engine and transmission Don't Know
Distance when acquired32000 miles
Previous carToyota Camry

Summary:

Very disappointed in Lexus

Gas light kept coming on, even though it was checked out by a mechanic several times. They would always tell me that it was a glitch in the computer, but I couldn't get the car inspected unless the engine light was off. So every year I had to get a friend to unplug wires for inspection.

Driver's side window would not roll down. Was told it needed a motor, which would cost $760.

Sunroof stopped working in 2009.

Paint starting peeling off. It looked really bad.

General Comments:

I was so excited to purchase my first Lexus. The first few years it was OK. But as time went on, I noticed that I was having a lot of electrical issues. Not sure if this is something that affected this particular car, or if I was just sold a lemon!

Not very roomy. We are a family of five and would be squished when going somewhere.

Trunk space was small.

Paint started peeling off of the hood. I had to spray some stuff that you try to hide the scratches with over my whole hood.

Review Date: 7th December, 2010

9th Dec 2010, 02:15

Sorry to hear that.

I think the older Lexus was much better, the 1990's Lexus. More luxury and quality back then.

They cut too many corners; now their cars look cheap.

Year of manufacture1999
Previous carLexus RX300

Summary:

Not perfection as they claim, and their transmissions are shoddy

My check engine light went on at 94,000 and cost $650 to repair.

My transmission did not go into reverse at 98,000 a couple of times.

Transmission dead at 100,000 miles.

General Comments:

For a luxury vehicle that was maintained and only driven by me for 30,000 miles, its transmission problems are a serious and safety issue. The Lexus dealer sent me off onto a major route of traffic, knowing my transmission was going, and it failed about 100 yards from the dealership. I was on the side of the road with very narrow breakdown lane.

They couldn't care less about safety.

Review Date: 16th November, 2010

2000 Lexus RX 300 3.0L from North America

First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 3.0L Automatic
Previous carFord Ranger

Summary:

It's very nice car

Transmission is shot and doesn't want to move.

I hope Lexus list a recall for these cars; it's a shame because they should take care of these cars.

If somebody has news about any solution for these cars from Lexus, let everybody know. Thanks.

General Comments:

Drives nice, but seems like they have transmission problems.

Review Date: 16th October, 2010

Distance when acquired42000 miles
Most recent distance112000 miles
Previous carToyota Celica

Summary:

ContactChrisWhite AT gmail DOT com if you want to be part of a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT

Transmission failed, big time, no warning and almost caused an accident.

General Comments:

I have loved the car. We had some initial issues with water leaking into the car through a taillight. It was a known issue at our dealership anyway, and Lexus finally agreed to fix the problem at no cost to us. But after the transmission failure, I am awestruck. I never expected the car to be failure proof, but some basic research has revealed that there are quite a few unhappy owners of Lexus RX300s made from 1999 to 2002, that have had the exact same transmission experience I have. It is a known issue that Lexus refuses to address. I have an attorney willing to get on board with a class action lawsuit. I see people on forums and boards all over the web in the short span of 2 hours since I started researching, talking about how we should all band together. Well if you are having the same problem and your Lexus is an RX300 manufactured between 1999 and 2002, let me know and let's DO band together and make them repair these defects.

My email is ContactChrisWhite AT gmail DOT com, and I am totally serious.

Review Date: 16th October, 2010

27th Dec 2012, 16:41

My 2000 Lexus RX 300 automatic transmission also went on my car without any warning to me! I was shocked that something so major would go on my Lexus, after just having 100,000 miles on it! Last year my motor went, but at least Lexus paid for half of the expense! But as for the transmission, I didn't get a penny towards it! I'm so upset & afraid to drive my car anywhere anymore!

Upset from Toms River, New Jersey!!!