2000 Lexus RX Reviews - Page 2 of 12

2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV from North America

Previous carToyota Camry

Summary:

Hot Mess

Transmission went at 90,000. Before that it was the emissions. This car has expensive problems.

General Comments:

Don't buy this car.

Review Date: 28th July, 2010

30th Jul 2010, 02:59

Love the title (Hot Mess). Like a gorgeous model with a raging cocaine habit.

2000 Lexus RX 300 from Puerto Rico

Engine and transmission Don't Know
Previous carLexus RX300

I purchased my Lexus RX300 with 70,000 miles. Now the SUV has 147,000 miles driven. It drives very smooth.

I was in the process of giving my SUV to my father, until my engine light came on. I have it in the shop as we speak. This has been my first issue, and my mechanic says is not a big deal. I hope he is telling me truth. I will keep you all posted.

Review Date: 12th July, 2010

2000 Lexus RX 300 from North America

Previous carNissan Pathfinder

Summary:

Seemed trouble free for a while, and thought it would last, but now I'm disappointed

ABS axle needed replacing at 106,000 miles - $1,500!

I was surprised this happened, but after reading comments on this site and others, I guess I shouldn't be. I'm not sure if I will go back to Lexus, though they have cars I'm interested in - hybrid SUV's. The dealership is nice and feels luxurious - especially compared to other luxury dealers.

But, I am definitely disappointed in the mechanical problems.

Review Date: 19th April, 2010

2000 Lexus RX 300 from North America

Previous carLexus RX300

Summary:

Do not buy one

The first problem I experienced was an oil leak that cost over $2300 in 2007.

I recently was driving the car, and with no warning light or anything, the car lost power and the transmission completely went out.

My car only has 109,000 miles, and has been driven mildly, averaging 10,000 a year. I regularly maintain the vehicle with oil changes every 3000 miles, and in November (4 months prior) had the transmission fluids flushed.

I had to have my car towed to the nearest Lexus dealership, to also find out that it need a new engine due to an "engine gelling problem". Lexus had a lawsuit filed against them due to the engine gelling problem, and they were to notify customers that owned a Lexus back in June 2006 of this problem. They did not have me in their records as the owner, and therefore did not notify me of this problem, or any other, even though I have been registered through the department of motor vehicles since 2006, so they will not fix the engine in its entirety, as I feel they should, because the lawsuit's timeline had lapsed.

I think this is really poor on their part, as they knew they had not notified me, and they knew that this year of vehicle had this problem.

I have also had the car accelerate on its own prior to the acceleration lawsuit filed against Toyota. That in itself is really a hazard, and luckily caught it early and had the problem fixed.

I would NEVER own another Lexus, and would recommend selling one if you own it, or you may have the ridiculous bill I am ending up with overnight with no warning whatsoever.

The car is very, very poorly made, and I would NEVER, NEVER buy another. I am disappointed with Lexus, as it is supposed to be a luxury car. They state on their website that they will win the race, because they will do it right the first time. That is a complete joke, and they do not stand behind their product.

Review Date: 5th April, 2010

6th Apr 2010, 13:07

I understand your frustration, however Lexuses are not "junk", and the RX300 is actually a wonderful SUV.

We too faced the dreaded engine "gelling" problem at 108,000 miles. We too had changed the oil every 3,000 miles.

We kept the Lexus until it reached 135,000 miles and then traded it in.

Yes, the RX300 do seem have their share of problems when they reach around 100,000 miles, but they still are a very good vehicle.

2000 Lexus RX 300 AWD 3.5 V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.5 V6 Automatic
Previous carToyota Previa

Summary:

Would never buy another Lexus

2000 Lexus RX300 AWD. 110,000 miles. Purchased new.

While driving on the highway, the transmission failed and the car coasted to a stop. No forward or reverse drive to wheels. Diagnosis: Needs new transmission, $5000. This is the infamous U140F transmission that has experienced so many problems.

The only other problem I've had is a leaking rear main seal (another common RX300 problem), for which the transmission had to be pulled by the dealer. Part = $15, Labor = $1100.

General Comments:

Do NOT purchase a Lexus RX300, no matter what the salesmen tell you.

Review Date: 1st April, 2010

1st Apr 2010, 15:42

That's a VERY expensive transmission!

1st Apr 2010, 18:08

We were sort of lucky that at 135,000 miles, we never had the RX300 transmission failure. We were unlucky that despite oil changes every 3000 miles, we did have the dreaded engine sludge issue.

Nice car, but expensive problems once you get around 100,000 miles. Miss the RX300 a little, but not the problems.