1999 Mercedes-Benz A-Class Classic 1.6 petrol from Germany

Summary:

Still going very strong at 250,000kms/155,000 miles

- New battery in 2011, original one until then.

- Thermostat broke at 242,000kms, which overheated the engine. I didn't realize it at the time, and drove in traffic some 5kms. All this didn't affect at all the engine or compression, and all the functioning is perfect to date.

- Headlights bulbs. Normal wear.

- Broken boot cover fixtures.

- Transmission selector changed at 245,000kms.

- Gear knob is very peeled off.

- Changed wiper-lights lever at 220,000kms.

- Changed front shock absorbers at 247,000kms. Normal wear.

- Changed tyres some 3 or 4 times, of course. Normal wear.

- Engine accessories band, changed 3 times. Normal wear.

- Engine accessories pulleys, changed 2 or 3 times too. Normal wear.

- Changed brake discs 2 times, normal wear.

General Comments:

This car is amazingly durable and reliable. The engine functions as it did when new. I go on the autobahns 3 times a week for 200kms each time, and I can go very safely at 160-180kms/hr, even with 250,000kms on the clock.

The engine feels as it will give easily some 250,000kms more. I'll write about it if it does...

Never had the "F" problem on dashboard that I have read about in some of the surveys; maybe because it is a simple manual, and not an automatic. My mechanic says, automatics did give some trouble.

Very safe suspension reactions, stability is very good. I prefer by far the reactions on this A-Class, to those of the W202 C-Class; much more predictable.

Acceleration, compression, and engine sound, which by the way is quite silent and smooth; all are like new.

I have used this car to carry even furniture, and wood.

I have spent far less money on this car, that what I have on a Golf, and a Toyota with less kms, and a little more than with a previous 190E.

This is a good Mercedes-Benz in all the basic attributes of a Mercedes: reliability, durability and safety.

Review Date: 8th October, 2012

1999 Mercedes-Benz A-Class A190 1.9 from Iceland

Summary:

Very bad, don't buy

I bought this car as I wanted a nice and luxurious car for my city driving.

The engine was powerful for such a small car, and the high seating position offered nice view of the road.

The main reason for my purchase was the Mercedes badge and the low kilometres, as I believed Mercedes stood for reliability and luxury.

After few days, the engine went into safe mode, which meant that it could only be driven under 50 km until restarted. Then everything was fine. After diagnosis it appeared the ESP computer was finished. Cost from dealership was 1700 euro.

During the next two years, the car was more in the garage than on the road. Alternator died, CV joint on front axle broke, engine lost power, and at the end, the automatic gearbox was finished.

Then I decided enough is enough, and I sold the car to a scrapyard. I always take good care of my cars in terms of service and so on. This is the worst car I have ever owned, and the cost of parts is ridiculous. I will newer buy a Mercedes again.

General Comments:

The worst car I have ever owned.

Review Date: 22nd April, 2012

1999 Mercedes-Benz A-Class from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Even if it's given to you, get rid of it

Car can start first time for 1-2 weeks, then for no apparent reason, the car just fails to start. No dash lights come on at all, and the car seems dead. I have checked the battery and that appears to be fine. Why oh why buy one?

General Comments:

LEMON. After reading all the problems that others have had, I am at my wits end wondering why anyone would buy one. Maybe I should be grateful, that SO far, I only have this one problem, but the biggest issue is, I have no idea what is causing it!! Has anyone had a similar problem??

Review Date: 23rd March, 2011