1989 Mercury Grand Marquis Reviews - Page 3 of 10

1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 5.0 from North America

Previous carPontiac Firebird

Summary:

A very fun car

Alternator went at 310,000.

Blows oil uses about a quart a week.

Transmission slips a little of the start.

General Comments:

Car does unbelievable brake stands.

Comfortable for long rides.

Great on the Highway.

Gas hog.

Basically you can beat this car all day and it comes back for more!

Review Date: 16th February, 2008

1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 5.0-liter V8 from North America

Model year1989
Engine and transmission 5.0-liter V8 Automatic
Previous carFord Taurus

Summary:

It's not only comfortable and spacious, it's powerful and a delight to drive

The power-steering pump had to be replaced.

The left rear window motor had to be replaced.

General Comments:

I was offered this car in a deal I couldn't refuse. I was first impressed with its imperturbable ride and the quiet, smooth engine; however, I was concerned that because of its size, it would be not only be a gas hog, but would also have poor handling qualities.

I have since discovered that on the freeway even at speeds of 75 mph (speed of traffic) interspersed with stop-and-go traffic, I get between 22 and 24.5 miles per gallon. Not only that, but the more I drive it, the more I appreciate its ability to maneuver and corner. While it's no muscle car, it's eminently capable of staying with the flow of fast-moving, competitive freeway drivers, if you take my meaning.

If I'm not watching the speedometer, I find I cannot tell the difference between 55 mph and 75 mph merely by listening to the sound of the engine and the wind.

The manual seat cannot be brought to a fully upright position. There are no cup holders. There are no map pockets on the backs of the front seats.

On washboard surfaces, the car delivers a very bumpy ride. On a smooth highway, it's like a canoe on a glassy lake.

The glove compartment is indeed small, and the trunk is indeed large.

Review Date: 7th December, 2005

7th Dec 2005, 16:08

Why the bumpy ride? If I buy a car like this, it's for the smoothness over the bumps.

24th May 2006, 15:03

The bumpy ride is from, I believe, the solid rear axle. It's noticeable on speed bumps and washboard surfaces on which both wheels come in contact with a bump at the same time. The front suspension in which the wheels act independently from each other is much smoother over these types of surfaces.

I have since discovered that at 109,000 miles the transmission needs to be repaired at a cost of $1495. I have elected to trade the car in. It's a nice car, but I'm more enamored of my money.

31st May 2006, 15:36

#1 Somebody is trying to rip you off with that transmission quote.

#2 If it's bumpy/bouncy, that means the poor thing is crying for new air-shocks.

30th Sep 2006, 04:31

1989 Grand Marquis are not equipped with air shocks that option was started in 1992.

29th Oct 2012, 02:32

No, actually air shocks were available on the LS trim in 89. Dig a little deeper before before advising on inaccurate information.

1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 5.0 from North America

Model year1989
Most recent distance119000 miles
Previous carFord Thunderbird

Summary:

Cheap parts, easy to fix, good power, and a comfortable ride

The bottom half of the engine went at around 105000 miles. Replaced it with another 5.0, but out of a Town Car. Strangely enough, it came with headers.

Lost overdrive at around 110000 miles. Had a rebuilt tranny installed for under $500. That's probably why it still shifts rough.

Speedometer is 5mph off.

Rear passenger window doesn't work.

A lot of problems with the idle/stalling out. I up'd the idle two turns. Ran great, but continues to stall on occasion while at lights. Stalls continuously while backing up. Plan on replacing the idle air control valve to see if this helps. I've also been told that it could be a common vacuum problem.

General Comments:

This car has been great. Upon buying the car it was only used for long distance trips due to its comfort factor. Now it is used as my daily driver. It had great power, even from a stand still. Most parts are cheap to replace and readily available. I do not regret buying this car. In the next few weeks I am thinking about getting rid of it for a 1988 Grand Marquis. Why you ask.?. Well, it only has 18,300 original miles and is in great condition. Plus the wife won't let me bring in another car until one is removed. My others include a 1974 Cougar with a 351C, a 1976 Cougar with a 351W, and a junked 87 Firebird.

Review Date: 20th October, 2005