1996 Mercury Sable GS 3.0L V6 from North America

Summary:

One problem after another after another

2 transmission failures in 4 years ($2000 repair).

Accelerator belt snapped.

Battery was terrible in cold weather.

Brake lines needed to be replaced at 82,000 miles.

Interior was cheaply designed with plastic on passenger side door coming off.

Broke down 5 times in 5 years, only driving 10,000 miles.

General Comments:

This car was absolutely terrible. It is long and clunky for a sedan, and it has the unreliability you would expect from a Ford. Save yourself the pain that I went through with this car and avoid it at all costs.

Review Date: 28th September, 2009

1996 Mercury Sable from North America

Summary:

Good Family Car

Drags a little bit on acceleration if the A/C is on.

My A/C compressor is going out. I can live without the A/C if the car will run without it... Anyone know if it will?

Kittykat1082@hotmail.com.

General Comments:

Car is reliable and has run great. I haven't had any major problems with it up until now.

Definitely a granny car, but fits two car seats, portable crib, and Graco stroller plus luggage and diaper bags with no trouble.

Review Date: 14th June, 2008

1996 Mercury Sable LS 3.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

This car has been very reliable, even at 200,000 miles!

At some point the driver's side power door lock quit functioning, but that was before I bought the car and it's a minor issue so I never had it fixed.

The door latches occasionally quit working in very cold temps - I once had to take a blowtorch to the locking mechanism just to get my door to shut so I wouldn't be late for work.

Other than that, nothing really went wrong with this car (besides normal wear and tear) until about a year after I bought it, when the lower ball joints needed to be replaced around 180,000 miles.

Around the same time the rear struts started going bad...

And now there are a couple more front suspension issues: broken stabilizer link and worn out tie rod on one side. But other than that, I have had no major problems with this car.

General Comments:

Despite a few problems here and there, at over 200,000 miles I am not complaining!

Performance-wise, I've found this car doesn't accelerate quickly and doesn't get great gas mileage - around 22 mpg. on average.

It handles wonderfully in the snow and it's nice and roomy with a huge trunk - perfect for long road trips.

There seems to be a lot of wind and road noise when driving at high speeds.

I've always thought the '96 to be a nice body style, very classy; people usually think my car is a lot newer than it actually is.

Review Date: 15th April, 2008

1996 Mercury Sable 3.0L 12 valve Vulcan V6 from North America

Summary:

Awesome daily driver

Nothing has been replaced, except tune up items.

General Comments:

The 3.0L Vulcan is one of the most dependable engines Ford ever made. Very common to see these engines reach 300,000 miles.

The reason I bought this was for college. I also own a Mustang. I did this because no garage, bad mpg, and potentially deafening for extended trips.

I drive to St. Louis and Chicago roughly every 3 weeks to visit my folks and girlfriend. I drive everyday to school and work. About 30 miles a day. The Sable is super quiet and smooth. There are times at a stop when I look at the tach to make sure the car is running still.

On highway I get 30mpg; yes, 30. City I get about 22-24. Mind you that HWY 55 (the HWY I take to St. Louis) is very flat and straight, so that helps the mileage. On the highway I go 80-85 mph and the Sable has no problems at that speed.

I bought the car from a dealer. An older lady owned it and traded it in for a '08 Sable. I put in plugs, a PCV valve, air filter, cabin filter, thermostat, oil, and flushed the coolant. This car is very easy to work on.

The Sable and Taurus were the #1 selling car for many years.

IMO I would stay away from the 24 valve V-6. They had head gasket problems. The 12 valve engine gets the Sable moving OK. I'm not scared of getting run over when coming off an on ramp.

Review Date: 3rd October, 2007