1996 Mercury Sable GS 3.0 from North America

Summary:

A great family car

Heat core was broken at 198,000 miles

Radiator was broken at 200,000 miles

Front brake pad was changed at 180,000

Rear brake pad was changed at 200,000

EGR differential pressure feedback sensor was broken when I bought this car.

General Comments:

Overall, this a great family car. I think that used Sable or Taurus is the most cost-effective car. It is much cheaper than Camry, Accord. However, its performance and reliability are not worse than Camry and Accord's.

It is also a gas saver. My Sable has more than 200,000 miles, but its gas mileage for local has been never lower than 21 MPG. For local and highway mixture, the gas mileage is around 26 MPG.The engine is very quiet, almost like brand new engine.

Of course, it is the most comfortable car in all the same level cars. That is the reason why I bought my second Sable three years ago.

I will put another 50,000 miles on my car before I get another Sable or Taurus.

Review Date: 20th July, 2004

1996 Mercury Sable LX 6.0 from North America

Summary:

Great for single women. Few repairs needed

The back passenger electric window will not go down.

At times, when it is cold outside, the door handles are hard to open.

General Comments:

I have had this car for going on 5 years now with little, if any, trouble.

Review Date: 24th January, 2004

1996 Mercury Sable LS 3.0 from North America

Summary:

Some problems, but an overall good car

Radiator cracked at 70,000 miles. Had new radiator installed instead of repairing old one, because of high labor cost involved in reaching the radiator in the car (whole engine has to basically be removed to access radiator.)

Intermittent malfunction of overhead light; will sometimes stay on as if a door is open, when it is not.

Failed transmission at 90,000 miles. $2,200.00 to replace (including labor.)

General Comments:

Despite the problems, this has been a good car. Very comfortable ride, roomy trunk, good leg room in both front and back seats are all pluses. Insurance costs are lower because of this car's excellent safety rating. With the exception of the failed transmission, I have been very happy with this car.

Review Date: 31st December, 2003

1996 Mercury Sable from North America

Summary:

GARBAGE

Piece of junk. Electrical problems, the engine stalls when it rains.

General Comments:

I would NEVER recommend this car to anyone. It's a piece of junk. My parents had an older (1993) sable and it had a bad transmission. We were told the problems had been fixed and bought this one because it was cheap. Now we know why.

Review Date: 6th November, 2003

1996 Mercury Sable GS Wagon 3.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

A slow-dying, comfortable wagon.

The blower motor has expired. I cannot get air conditioning, heat, or vent.

The windshield wipers stop working when I activate the turn signal.

One of the rear valves has either cracked or stuck, thus leaving me with 5 out of 6 cylinders. Minimum of $1500 required for repair or to replace engine.

The tensioner coil is loose and caused me to blow the serpentine belt. Car overheated as a result.

The back window pneumatic rods are not working properly, and the rear glass will slam shut half a minute after opening it.

There is a hard jerk in the transmission when I put the car into drive.

General Comments:

Other than the above recent problems, the car is extremely comfortable. It's great for travel and transport, and the standard roof rack takes light loads (like a kayak) with ease.

The GS model comes with all of the extras except for a rear windshield wiper unit.

I love the rear seats that fold down flat for extra trunk space.

Like many Ford cars, when the mileage gets over 70,000, there seems to be a host of accompanying problems. When things start to domino, it's time to trade it in.

Review Date: 14th September, 2003

29th Jan 2006, 07:33

NEVER, EVER trust a dealer to tell you about a recall. Always check them yourself at: http://www.nhtsa.gov/

Print them out and take them in-hand to the dealer.

21st Jun 2010, 19:15

I have owned several Taurus/Sable wagons; other than one Sable (an '86) that I could never get the transmission right with. The others (two 86, one 96, one 98) all made it to 250,000 plus without major problems - with all but one breaking the 300,000 mark. Living in the upper midwest, they eventually get parked in deference to ravages of road salt - but at 300,000 they certainly don't owe me anything. In 300,000 I'll plan on a couple of alternators and water-pumps, and suspension work at about 150,000. These are overall excellent vehicles, with very good handling manners.