1996 Mercury Sable GS 3.0L V6 from North America

Summary:

Comfortable drivability, but ultimately another shoddy Ford product

When I got the car, with 124,900 miles on it, it had no apparent issues. In the next 18 months and 23,000 miles, the following repair situations occured:

-Relay box for headlights died.

-Front end alignment.

-Electrical system went crazy with certain interior lights refusing to turn off (I ended up actually removing the bulbs) problem was eventually traced to a bad lead cable to the battery.

-Rear struts starting making a lot of noise around 145,000 miles. Then the front ones went, too.

-The head gasket blew around 147,000 miles.

-The usual oil changes, filters, brake pads, etc.

-Thermostat was repaired shortly before I got the car.

General Comments:

Until it started falling apart all at once, it was a very comfortable car with good performance.

Decent gas mileage (for it's size) - I got approximately 19 mpg city, 26 mpg highway.

Didn't use much oil, either.

Definitely responded when the gas pedal was stepped on. The V6 had some power. Then again, my previous car was a 4-banger, 1.5 litre Honda, so the Mercury might've just *seemed* fast to me :)

One of the more comfortable cars I've owned. I drove it 500 miles without getting a sore back or rear end. Very adjustable and cushy cloth seat.

The door openings for the back seat were small. I'm only 5'10" and had to duck my head low to get in the back seat.

Stupid design flaw: If you have the console area open with the cup holders flipped out and all that- it 100% blocks the ashtray and lighter. You may not smoke or care, but there goes your change tray and lighter to plug your cell phone charger into as well.

Trunk space was inadequate. Though it goes deep into the car (and the back seats fold down), the opening is narrow and nothing bulky can really fit in.

Overall, this was a nice care to drive. But, even though I kept up with routine oil changes and maintenance- when it stated to go, it just went. The brakes started getting squealy, the struts died, the electrical system began acting up again, and the head gasket blew- all within a few months.

Review Date: 14th July, 2007

1996 Mercury Sable from North America

Summary:

Amazing comfort ride!!

General Comments:

I love my car!!... 1996 model, first car for my license, and it is AMAZING!!... I'll always remember it, and the speed picks up so quickly, and I love the little seat in the middle, my friend Chelsea claimed it :)! Super roomy and comfortable!!

Review Date: 24th October, 2006

1996 Mercury Sable GX 3.0L from North America

Summary:

Very pleased. Thank you Chicago Assembly Plant!

Replaced catalytic converter 160k miles, IAC valve about the same time. New radiator, thermostat at 125k miles.

General Comments:

Very satisfied with the vehicle, perform all maintenance myself. Oil & tranny fluids and filters, air filters, and coolant. Only 2 rear brake jobs, 1 front brake job. Front struts, rear struts soon. Routine replacement of plugs, wires after normal wear. Replaced outer tie rods and ball joints at 136k. Very dependable vehicle, high 20s in mileage, nearly all highway. Currently on my third set of skins. I got 70k out of OEM tires; 100k tires put on at 150k. Car does not burn oil, change oil every 4-5k.

Review Date: 6th June, 2006

1996 Mercury Sable GS 3.0 from North America

Summary:

Performs OK, but the mileage is extremely disappointing even after a complete tuneup

Differential.

Power steering pump.

Distributor.

General Comments:

Poor gas mileage (approx. 5 kms/litre)

Lack of power on hills or passing.

Reliable and comfortable.

Review Date: 11th February, 2006

1996 Mercury Sable GS 4.0 from North America

Summary:

Expensive to repair

* Transmission replaced at 150,000 miles (by dealer I bought it from)

* Connector from key to ignition snapped at 158,000

* Check engine light always on- EGR, speed sensor, catalytic converter are fried

* Steering rack going

* Engine mount replaced.

General Comments:

I love this car's performance and comfort, but as other reviews indicate, it is an expensive one to repair. Mine has a lot of miles on it, but was maintained really well by the salesman who owned it before me, and I've done my best. However repair costs have exceeded what I originally paid for it, and the last straw is the catalytic converter which I'm told is "configured in a complicated way" and will require me to mortgage my firstborn in order to replace it. On other simple repairs, I've been told the parts are difficult to reach, so the labor costs are high. Of course, the transmission faults for this car are so well known, you might as well buy a spare when you get it.

On the plus side, it handles beautifully, was a workhorse during bad winter weather (I cruised past all the zippy sports-cars stuck in snow), lovely cruise control. Roomy interior, trunk goes on forever. Seems to be light on the insurance bill. I wish I could keep it.

However, reliability is my top priority so I won't be buying another Mercury. Off to the foreign dealerships...

Review Date: 29th August, 2005