1999 Nissan Altima GXE from North America

Summary:

This car is stout/solid.

The issues with the Altima:

The major mechanical issue was with the timing chain guides breaking. The timing chain is a $1,500 repair, but for this engine (k24), it is well worth repairing rather than replacing. Make sure the parts are purchased from Nissan.

For manual transmissions, make sure the clutch kit is also purchased from Nissan.

The alternator died around 220k.

Timing chain was replaced at 215,000k due to a broken guide.

General Comments:

The Altima is, hands down, one of the best cars ever built. I put over 300k miles on this vehicle.

I said if I ever sold the Altima, I would blog on this site, because I reviewed this site before I purchased the Altima in 2004.

I am an African American young man from Memphis. I purchased the Altima in 2004 at the age of 19, one week before my 20th birthday, with 122k miles. I put many highway miles on the Altima. Everywhere I went, it took me. When the car reached around 300k, it was still being put on the highway, taking me on long trips.

This car was never abused by me. I kept the oil changed, using full synthetic at around 200k.

The Altima never lost any power, the engine ran and sounded great, just like it did when I first purchased it at 122k.

Treat the Altima well, but don't be afraid to drive it. Keep the inside of the engine clean and lubricated with good synthetic oil.

Just like any machine, this car has broken down quite a few times, but it is truly one of the BEST built vehicles ever.

I owned this car from age 19 to age 30. This car has seen me through many life changes and taken me on many trips with friends and family.

Goodbye Ole Gal... (Altima)

Any questions, you may reach out via email or Facebook.

Alphonsodewayne@yahoo.com

FB: Alphonso dewayne Beau Jefferson or Beau Jefferson.

Review Date: 1st June, 2014

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 2.4L 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Great, reliable car

Fan had to be replaced a few years ago.

Serpentine/drive belt went at about 120,000.

Alternator died at about 122,000.

Breaks are very squeaky.

Driver's side sun visor connection broke.

General Comments:

Handles very well.

Has very good pick-up for a 4 cylinder car.

Lots of leg room.

Nice size trunk.

Review Date: 31st August, 2012

1999 Nissan Altima SE 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Great, dependable, inexpensive car, period

Normal stuff, battery, alternator.

Both front axles redone, boots, bushings etc.

Gas filler tube rusted.

General Comments:

This car has been a gem.

Do regular maintenance, and it has never given a problem.

I beat this car up, but just keeps on ticking.

Engine and drivetrain have been flawless.

Review Date: 15th March, 2011

30th Jun 2013, 16:58

Following up on my review of this car. I still have it at 158,000 miles and it keeps on ticking. However, I did run into a couple of issues.

At 150,000 the entire exhaust system went kaput. Basically, fell apart at the exhaust manifold and a few places all the way back. Replaced the entire system.

Had a problem again with the driver's side front end, as the control arm cracked. Also, at 135,000 the rotor broke in the distributor... Easy fix.

This car has become my beater. I commute 30 miles every day... Drive all over town. I don't think it will ever die. Also, does not burn a single drop of oil.

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Fantastic

Distributor and alternator went at 130,000. Nothing else.

General Comments:

I have had 2 of these cars, identical year, color, everything and I LOVE IT.

I also had a 2003 Saturn Ion, and hated it because the Altima is very roomy and rides fantastic. Keep in mind it's not 13 years old, and other than the two problems I had last year, I've never had trouble with either of my 1999 Altimas. The first one I only got rid of because someone hit me and totaled it.

Old car or not, it looks fine for a mom with a car seat, and runs fantastic. Nissan products ONLY for me!

Review Date: 30th January, 2011