1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

You're better off with a Honda

Molded door guards turned a brownish yellow in just 1.5 years. The car's color is white. Nissan will only warranty the door guards for a year after new purchase... gee, I wonder why? Nissan won't stand behind their product.

Also, the car has problems starting in cold weather. Have had a few occasions this winter where the car just wouldn't start in cold conditions. The dealership can't seem to solve the problem.

General Comments:

This is my first and last Nissan. When a car company knows it has a problem (defect) in material or workmanship, they should stand behind their product. Nissan is not this kind of company.

Review Date: 15th March, 2001

5th Mar 2006, 12:46

To the previous poster.. After the horror stories I have read on almost EVERY so-called quality brand, and after my own car-from-hell experiences with a German import, your quibbles with trivia seem to be somewhere between laughable and ludicrous!!

I have just bought a Nissan based on the almost total lack of complaints on serious deficiencies.. and I count my blessings (you should too..!!)

5th Mar 2006, 19:04

Yes, I don't care anything about Nissans and even I have to agree that this amounts to pointless whining. The cure for hard starting in subzero temperatures is to keep a can of Pyroil starting fluid in the back seat. Of course that will require you to look at those faded door jambs, so I guess a person just can't win...

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 2.4 litre from North America

Its power lock on the rear door went wrong, but got it replaced for free from the dealer.

General Comments:

No problems.

Drinks gas more than a Civic - gives me around 25mpg.

Its seats are not that comfortable for long drives.

Trunk has very small opening. Sometimes it's difficult to put things in it.

Overall a very good car. Extremely reliable. With a good sound system.

Review Date: 23rd August, 2000

17th Jun 2002, 10:14

The Altima is a larger car than the civic, of course it doesn't get the same gas mileage. The Sentra is closer to the Civic's size. A lot of these posts have to be taken with a grain of salt.

1999 Nissan Altima GXE from North America

Peeling paint.

General Comments:

I am trying to post this on every available message board I can find...

I recently purchased a brand new 1999 Nissan Altima (about four months ago). Two months after I bought the car the paint started peeling on the front bumper when I was washing the car. I brought the vehicle back to the Nissan dealership so they can take a look at it. They told me a "professional paint inspector" needed to take a look at it. I had to miss a lot of work bringing the car back and forth between the dealership and a body shop (I had to get an estimate to re-paint the bumper myself). Two months later, and after NUMEROUS phone calls, the paint inspector finally decided to look at my car. Needless to say, after two months of driving around in the wind and rain, the paint was no longer peeling on the bumper. Nissan is refusing to re-paint my bumper!! The paint inspector told them he felt the peeling was due to "rock chipping" (which is NOT TRUE)- it must have been a REALLY big rock to peel the paint off my front bumper, not to mention a "magic" rock that can peel paint but leave no scratches!! I purchased the car for over $16,000. The cost to re-paint the bumper is only $200. I've called Nissan Consumer Affairs and their "consolation gift" is two free oil changes. After all of the hassle I had to deal with they want to give me $30 worth of oil changes!!

I am sending this out so everyone knows of my experience with Nissan. After I purchased the car I dropped off the face of the earth as far as Nissan was concerned. I received no phone call asking me about my buying experience. They didn't care whether or not I liked my car. They didn't even thank me for buying a car!! And when I needed service I got the run-around for TWO MONTHS! The Nissan service department or Consumer Affairs made no effort to contact me. I HAD TO CALL THEM!

I am asking everyone to read this carefully and decide whether or not it's worth spending that much money on a car and getting HORRIBLE SERVICE afterwards. I WILL NEVER buy another Nissan vehicle - that's how bad the service is!!!!!

Review Date: 8th February, 2000

14th Mar 2001, 14:45

I feel your pain! I bought a white 1999 Altima. The door guard moldings on mine have turned a hideous shade of yellow (very attractive).

So far all I got is a total run around with Nissan finally saying tough sh**! They will only cover their moldings for 12 months. This tells me that they are having problems in this area... way to stand behind your product Nissan! Needless to say, this my first and last Nissan product.

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 4 cyl. from North America

Nothing so far, after a bit more than one year.

General Comments:

Seems like a good car and good value so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Review Date: 27th December, 1999

16th Sep 2002, 12:29

I have had my Nissan Altima GXE for three 1\2 years. I have logged over 100,000 miles, been through two accidents, and the car has not had any part of the engine fail. Change the oil, tires, and the ever so often tune up. A great car! Would recommend to anyone, and consider getting another Nissan in the future.