1999 Nissan Altima Reviews - Page 2 of 6

1999 Nissan Altima SE 2.4 Liter 4 cylinder from North America

First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 2.4 Liter 4 cylinder Manual

The only thing wrong with the car is squeaky brakes. For some reason that tends to be a defect that a lot of Nissan cars have. However, it only squeaks when the car is cold. After 5 minutes of driving the squeaking stops.

General Comments:

I purchased this vehicle used about a year ago, and it has all the upgrades that a 99 Altima SE could have, plus leather interior.

It has 175,000 miles and I have no issues with the engine. The steering wheel does not shake and it feels a smooth ride.

I also have a manual transmission, and always recommend purchasing a used car with manual transmission, because they last longer.

I am extremely impressed with the reliability that this 99 Altima has, and I am expecting it to go way past 200,000 miles.

My advice is take care of your Nissan and it will take care of you. This car in 1999 was voted JD Power and Assoc Motor Trend car of the year. It's unfortunate that some of you guys had problems with yours. I went shopping for a reliable Japanese car and compared it online with 99 Accords and 99 Camry's. Consumers and car magazines voted 99 Altima higher in reliability than those two, and better value for your buck!

Review Date: 11th March, 2010

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 2.4L from North America

Engine and transmission 2.4L Automatic

Summary:

I love this car

I replaced the flex pipe for $200. That didn't bother me, I find that acceptable.

General Comments:

I love this car, I couldn't expect much more out of this car. It is my baby, and it performs like a V6, like no joke. My friends sit in the car and they are surprised on how well this car performs.

I couldn't pick any other car to drive as my first car, however the car has minor dings from hail and stuff, I bought it like that. It still looks and runs great.

Review Date: 14th October, 2009

1999 Nissan Altima from North America

Year of manufacture1999

Summary:

Good 1st car

Intake manifold 164k. Expensive to fix and still had problems after.

Transmission went @ 180K. Decided it wasn't worth the headache to fix it.

I love the Altima, but there was always something wrong with it. Cheap to maintain, but a pain.

General Comments:

AC could be a little colder. I love the heat and the roomy interior.

Review Date: 6th October, 2009

1999 Nissan Altima from North America

Previous carNissan Altima

General Comments:

Purchased my daughter a 1999 Nissan Altima after she totaled her 2002 Nissan Altima by hitting a deer. Best thing that ever happened, the '02 Altima had quite a taste for oil.

Back to the 1999 Altima, which I purchased in 2008. The car had 43,000 original miles and looked show room new.

I've been extremely impressed by the quality of the car. The twin cam four is plenty powerful and delivers good fuel economy.

The interior is tastefully designed and well appointed for what is basically an economy car.

The exterior of the car in terms of paint and body hardware is practically flawless. I find this particularly impressive as the car was nine years old when I bought it.

I can only wish I can find another gem like this one.

Review Date: 23rd September, 2008

1999 Nissan Altima 2.5SE 2.5 Liter, gas from North America

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 2.5 Liter, gas Automatic
Previous carMazda 626

Summary:

Great value and highly reliable

This car just rolled over 200,000 and still runs great.

Transmission started slipping at 185,000 miles so had it rebuilt since everything else about the car still seemed near perfect.

Replaced front brake disks around 150,00 but this is expected normal wear.

Balance wheel on front of engine (drives all belts) broke from fatigue at about 190,000. Perhaps it got damaged during transmission overhaul.

Currently the engine is noisy for first couple minutes after cold starts due to a cracked exhaust manifold, but as it heats up for a few minutes, the crack closes and the noise goes away.

General Comments:

It is hard to believe this car runs perfectly and has never had a tuneup. It has over 200,000 miles on original spark plugs. I change oil and filter every 5000 miles and it is always full and oil still pretty clean.

Body integrity is good, nothing has broken or fallen off. Still has original exhaust system. Current set of Michelin tires have over 100,000 miles on them. My secret to long tread wear is over-inflation. I run about 36 PSI in all 4 tires and check them every 2 weeks.

I have been so pleased with this car that I just bought another Altima, a 2007 model.

Review Date: 11th October, 2007