1999 Nissan Altima Reviews - Page 4 of 6

1999 Nissan Altima GLE 2.4L-4 cylinder from Albania

Model year1999
Engine and transmission 2.4L-4 cylinder Automatic
Previous carDodge Intrepid

Summary:

A great car for a great price, I would highly recommend it to everyone

In the week and a half that I've owned it, absolutely nothing has gone wrong, and it appears that nothing will.

General Comments:

The GLE is a incredible car, especially in terms of the value. The engine is unbelievably quiet and surprisingly has fairly good power/acceleration considering it is only a 4 cyl. I was the type of person who had always said that I would never purchase a car with less than a 3.0-V6, but the power is more than adequate.

The ride is very smooth and it seems like the suspension system does its job well.

The interior is impeccable, the power moonroof/sunroof is flawless, and the seats are comparable to that of a Toyota Avalon in terms of comfort and support. Another great feature is the adjustabilitiy of the steering wheel. Instead of just being able to lock the wheel at a few positions, in terms of the height, you can adjust it to any height that you wish, making the car very easy/comfortable to drive.

The trunk is ample sized as well, allowing enough room for 2-3 fully packed suitcases.

Review Date: 22nd November, 2004

1999 Nissan Altima SE 2.6 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Previous carDodge Spirit

Summary:

Bulletproof (almost)

One biggie, one small and annoying.

At around 51,000m the vehicle very slowly engaged into reverse when cold. The engine would rev as the car would very slowly creep backwards. I was not very pleased with Nissan that they knew the solution to the problem, but alas never issued any notices to owners. This is possibly the only thing that would keep me from buying another Nissan product. It was covered under warranty though.

Deep inside the drivers seat is a clicking noise that won't go away, might be something with the motors in there.

General Comments:

Other than those issues, the car has been a true warrior. Minnesota is not easy on vehicles and this Altima has never left myself or my wife stranded. We bought it new for her, I truly wanted an Accord, but she got a killer deal through her employer. That said, it doesn't burn a drop of oil, after 5,000m the exact amount of Mobil 1 that went in the car is still present.

Nice durability of leather.

Put on Bridgestone RE950s at 45,000m, highly recommend them for improved handling and rain stability.

Ride is a good balance between sporty and cruiser, choppy though when below 20 degrees or so.

Drives like new at 73,500, going to run it into the ground, I trust I'll see 250,000m.

Review Date: 27th December, 2003

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 2.4L I4 from North America

Engine and transmission 2.4L I4 Automatic
Previous carPontiac Sunbird

Summary:

A high value wonderful car at a reasonable price

The camber is out very slightly in the front, but the car goes pretty straight and is barely noticeable while driving.

General Comments:

This is really a great car! I see many terrible reviews on here, but remember- disapointed people speak out much more often. For each of these people there are hundred if not thousands of delighted drivers. This car has a very strong engine in build and in power. The ride is exceptionally smooth and luxurious at speeds all the way up to 110, wink. Cruising at 85-90mph is a breeze at fairly low RPM. This is a very large 2.4L 4-cylinder that performs much like V6's in its class. The interior feels very comfortable on long rides and is very ergonomically laid out. All at once, it feels like a compact car and luxury cruiser, which may be hard to understand. The suspension is tight yet luxurious and features a form of four wheel steering called STC or Super Toe Control. This passive system serves to reduce skidding or sliding in high speed maneuvers such as avoiding children or animals in the road. Not a thing has broken or malfunctioned for me! This car has served me well for 15000 miles now and I'm very happy with its quality. I love my country and all, but domestic car just aren't this nice and I have driven a large number of models and makes of cars.

Review Date: 24th June, 2003

30th Oct 2003, 10:19

You are so right!!! I have owned a Nissan altima 99 GXE and I love it!! it is the best car ever. it rides smooth andis better than American cars!!! finally there are other that love an Altima too!!!