1999 Nissan Altima SE 2.4 from North America

Summary:

Premium example of why many are moving to Imports

New off the floor it had a bad O2 sensor. Replaced it and A1 since. Factory Firestone tires were crap. Lasted about 50,000 km.

General Comments:

Very good power. SE suspension rides too stiff in cold climate and less than glasslike highways.

Absolutely premium dealer service compared to North American dealers.

Review Date: 13th March, 2003

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 2.4 from North America

Summary:

Waste of time and money

My front driver side wheel bearing seal was bad and the car had only 50,000 miles on it.

The brakes squeal constantly even when they are new.

The air conditioner needed to recharged in 2002.

Now the rear wheel bearings are going out.

The car is white and the side strips are turning yellow and the paint on the rest of the car is very dull it's as if there is no clear coat on it at all.

General Comments:

This car is pretty quick off the line, but has little passing power. Although it is fairly roomy inside. I have only had this car since 2001 and I hate it! I will never buy a Nissan again! The paint is awful and the brakes are so squeaky and then there is the wheel bearings! I hate dealing with the Nissan corporation they are so bad, they have no clue what is covered under their 60,000 mile power train warranty! I had to argue with them to pay to fix my wheel bearing and had to call them many, many times! Do yourself a favor and do not, but this car!

Review Date: 29th January, 2003

27th Feb 2009, 13:28

I had a 1999 Nissan Altima SE since 1999 and when I crashed it it had 232k miles. The car was very reliable and even after the crash, I drove it 40 miles back home.

31st Mar 2009, 16:51

Brakes squeak when you buy cheap stuff, just plain normal.

Bearing, could be because of poor road conditions that puts unusual stress to the vehicle...

Nissan is maybe no Honda or Toyota, but it is cheaper than those two to compensate for that fact.

3rd Dec 2009, 16:41

You're complaining about wheel bearings like your engine is bad. Bearings are really really minor compared to just about everything else that could go wrong. Sounds like a really reliable car to me..

3rd Oct 2010, 08:19

Since July I have replaced the transmission mounts, the A/C belt, the fuel injectors, the fuel filter and had a full tune up. Yet every time it rains, there is a large amount of water mixing in the gas line.. no one seems to know where water could be entering..

1999 Nissan Altima GLE 2.4 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Super value... especially used!

My driver door window rattles, especially at highway speeds.

The rear window also rattles.

General Comments:

I would contend that this engine was the best four cylinder on the market in this model year.

I have owned several V-6's that did not provide starting-line and high-end acceleration that match the Altima's.

The Altima carries cargo very well; I am impressed with the trunk opening and capacity.

Review Date: 5th January, 2003

1999 Nissan Altima GXE Not sure, its fast though from North America

Summary:

Great performing car for great price

Nothing really wrong had gone with it, although someone stole all of my pop-off hubcaps off my car. The hubcaps cost over $200 to replace.

General Comments:

Altima runs so smoothly on the highway, you don't hear anything. Before you know it you can be going 110 and the car is still running effortlessly.

Car turns so smoothly.

Altima speeds up VERY quickly, I can go from 0-60 within 6 seconds or so.

Trunk is very large; it holds large objects, and the car doesn't slow down a bit.

I love my Nissan Altima.

Review Date: 21st September, 2002

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 2.4L 4 Cylinder from North America

Summary:

A reliable mid-size family car

Within the first year, there were several squeaks/rattles which you could hear when you drive. Dealership found that someone had left a small tool in the steering column. I believe it was left by the dealership which installed the after-market sunroof.

Also, the driver side seat belt had to be replaced at about 20,000 miles because it had become "lazy" and would not retract. This was covered under warranty.

General Comments:

The car overall works very well. Have had very few problems to complain about.

On wet roads it is not very stable and the handling in turns is not extremely good which is due to the type of car.

Get about 30 miles/ gallon and am happy with the peppy engine.

Review Date: 29th May, 2002

18th Mar 2003, 13:38

I bought my 99 Nissan Altima with 7 miles on it when I bought it it made a banging noise in the rear. The dealer ship wouldn't fix it they don't know what it is. Since then I had to replace the brakes twice, driver side power window went out at 45k not covered under warranty, 50k CV boot cracked, 75k starter went out, 75k engine belt cracked.