1999 Nissan Altima Reviews - Page 3 of 6

1999 Nissan Altima GLE 4 cyclinder from North America

Engine and transmission 4 cyclinder Automatic
Previous carMazda Mazda

Summary:

Great little car.. meets all my needs at a very good price

Absolutely nothing.

General Comments:

This is a great little inexpensive car. I got a used GLE model with all the bells and whistles (power sunroof, leather, ABS braking, CD/Cassette player, air bags, etc. and less than 55,000 miles for less than &6500 dollars. It rides great, the gas mileage is very good, it's a cool looking car and the dependability is legendary. Infact, most people say you have to shoot them to stop them.

As for the reviewer comparing this car to a V-6 Camry, get real... you get what you pay for and if you want to pay $6000 more for a Camry then please do... it will leave some Altimas for those of us who don't practice brand loyalty.

Review Date: 5th December, 2006

1999 Nissan Altima SE 2.5L petrol from North America

Engine and transmission 2.5L petrol Automatic
Previous carToyota Camry

Summary:

Perfect sporty sedan at a great price

I bought this one at 97000 miles in 06. Its been driven hard and the previous owner was a road warrior. The chassis and the undercarriage shows that as well as the fact that it has seen 5 snowy winters up North. Apart from that this machine has a problem with the steering and I have to keep pulling it left every 2 seconds as the car keeps veering right even at parking speeds. I've shown this to a mechanic here in Florida and they worked on alignment. Seems the tires being of different wears is causing the problem. What beats me is why tire rotation did not reverse the pull-direction? Any comments on that? The previous owner had hit the passenger-font side tire on a curb, probably at high speed. Don't know if that is related to this...

The CV joints had to be replaced.. both of them since the boots developed a tear. I guess that was just regular wear and tear, not a fault with the car.

Gaskets and rotor and valves had to replaced at 97000 miles.

General Comments:

Apart from that the car is fun to drive. I used to drive sedate Camry's before, and an SE Altima is making me want to speed! Its handling and turning is good with minimum body roll. I would have loved to get this one brand new! Will recommend to all for a used car...

Review Date: 7th May, 2006

1999 Nissan Altima GLE 2.4 from North America

Most recent distance72000 miles
Previous carToyota Camry

Upon cold start, the transmission does not engage as it should and feels weak and when I depress the gas pedal, it engages rough. Driving uphill with the A/C on, it heats up. I never had a slight problem like this with my Camry.

General Comments:

Very nice car, but no comparision with the Camry(3.0 v6) I had. I drove my Camry for 200,000 miles and it is still perfect in terms of engine and transmission repair or performance.

The speakers suck.

Review Date: 13th August, 2005

1999 Nissan Altima GXE 2.4 from North America

Distance when acquired62000 miles
Previous carMazda Protege

Summary:

Great daily driver vehicle

I suspected I needed new brakes 5,000 miles ago, but turned out there was only a hard spot on the pad.

Light rattle under hood when under acceleration, I suspect it to be the BTV valve bracket. Hasn't been fixed yet.

Suspect idler pulley needs fixed because it makes a little noise when the engine is cold. Hasn't been fixed yet.

The trunk leaks during heavy rains and I've been unable to find where it's leaking from.

General Comments:

This car has been extremely reliable ever since purchasing it last year. Only maintenance has been regular oil changes every 3,000 miles. I probably should have performed the 60,000 mile tune-up, but didn't want to pay what the dealership wanted for the procedure. Gas mileage hovers around 28 and would like it to be a little better, but it is quite reasonable for a larger 4 cylinder. Best mileage was in the high 30s, but that was on a cross country trip.

Exterior is holding up nicely, as long as I take time for the occasional wash and wax. The ride is comfortable and reasonably soft. Body lean can be a bit pronounced at times, but is still reasonable. Interior noise is moderate to low, depending on the driving surface. Interior fit and finish is very good and has stayed looking great, partly due to my frequent vacuuming and spot treatment.

Overall this car is a great everyday car that will double as economical cross country transportation. I recently drove from Missouri to California and had no problems throughout my 2,200 mile trip. I highly recommend this car as a everyday use car that rewards the driver with reliability and efficiency.

Review Date: 2nd February, 2005

29th Jul 2005, 17:54

I also had a leak in my trunk and I took it to the Nissan dealer 6 times and they couldn't find the problem. My friend told me it could be the rear window seal so I had it checked out and "BINGO" that was the problem. it hasn't leaked since.

4th Apr 2007, 11:24

I have owned my 99 Altima GXE since 2002. I'm up to 130,000 miles. I also have a problem with the trunk getting damp during heavy rains. I'll have to check out the previous poster's suggestion. Overall, I love this car. Never any major problems. I've put on 100K miles since I bought it without doing much more than changing the oil every 3,000 miles.

I am currently considering trading it in for the new 2007 Altima.