2005 Nissan Altima Reviews - Page 4 of 9

2005 Nissan Altima from North America

Model year2005
Year of manufacture2004

Summary:

The car ran great, until a defective part started causing dangerous serious problems

General Comments:

My 2005 Nissan Altima started stalling out at stop signs, red lights, a drive thru, etc. The check engine light was not on, and mechanics could not diagnose the problem.

This really worried me because I have a 3 year old son I drive around in the car. My biggest fear was making a left turn and it stalling in the middle of an intersection.

Finally when it got harder to start back up, and keep it going once started the check engine light came on. I took it in yet again and he said the code for for the crankshaft position sensor and it was it part of a recall and I needed to take it to the dealer. He gave me a copy of the recall.

From what I read in the recall, it sounds like the recall is for the crankshaft position sensor overheating and causing a problem with the ECM. When I had it towed to the dealer from the mechanic because it was no longer driveable, the service tech explained that the recall only included the reprogram of the ECM, not the crankshaft position sensor, for that I have to pay out of pocket, a little over $200.00. I don't understand why I have to pay out of pocket for something that is apparently defective. I am going to make a claim with Nissan to see if I can get my money back, however will not ever buy another Nissan.

This could have been an extremely dangerous situation, and I was never notified of the recall, apparently they put out groups of them at a time, over a period of time, and I was not slated yet to receive the recall yet. The representative I spoke with, with Nissan said they put it on the news, I must have missed that episode of the news- and worse now it seems like I have to fork out $200+ for a defective part.

Review Date: 19th September, 2008

30th Dec 2008, 07:57

I had the same problem with my 2004 Nissan. My car cut off 2 times while I was approaching a stop sign at the bottom of a hill. I am very blessed that there were no cars or people crossing the cross walk.

Advanced Auto Parts diagnosed the crank sensor malfunction and the part only cost $40. A mechanic estimated supplying the part, labor, and 3-year warranty for $80 but to check with Nissan b/c there was a related recall. I called a local Nissan dealer and the service manager had a very nasty defensive attitude. So I followed up with 1-800 quality care Nissan folks and the same story... it was my responsibility unless only the ECM malfunctioning.

Nissan charged me $100 for a diagnostic test (that I already had done for free) and $151 for labor and parts. After the diagnostic test I considered going back to my economical mechanic but only the dealer can reset the ECM once the new part has been installed... isn't that a load of crap.

Since the sensor defaulted due to Nissan poor judgment in design layout and not any actions by me, I agree Nissan should cover the cost. I am filing a case with Nissan and encourage others to do the same by calling 18006477261.

I am very dissatisfied with how this matter was handled by Nissan. As much as I love my Altima, I will probably not buy another Nissan. This is one of many times I've had rude customer service. I've also heard of other instances of Nissan cutting corners and not taking responsibility for their factory mishaps.

2005 Nissan Altima S 2.5 4 cylinder from North America

Model year2005
Year of manufacture2005
Engine and transmission 2.5 4 cylinder Automatic
Previous carVolkswagen Jetta

Summary:

Reliable, roomy, adequate, B-

Not much has gone wrong, the brakes wore out at about 20,000 miles but that mostly depends on how you drive.

Sometimes when you turn the A/C off a funky smell comes out of the vents, not very pleasant at all (stinky).

The paint is easily chipped and scratched, very cheap paint.

The engine noise is pretty noticeable, not deafening, but could definitely be a lot quieter.

<<< Update >>> I am currently at around 78,000 miles. since my review the crankshaft position sensor went out, the recall covered reprogramming but not the actual part, which cost around $120.00 to replace. Also the auto transmission seems to be shifting a little rough, but other than those two things it's been running strong.

General Comments:

This is a great car, very roomy, gets OK gas mileage; I average around 29 mpg, which is only a little better than the 6 cylinder, which is listed at around 26 mpg.

The car has good get up and go for a 4 cylinder, I usually have no trouble passing on the interstate.

Overall I have had a good experience with the car, and would buy another no questions asked, Might spring for the 3.5 next time though.

Review Date: 4th April, 2008