2005 Nissan Altima from North America

Summary:

Not worth buying, better cars are available

Had all 4 wheel bearings replaced, A/C compressor and hose replaced.

The floor is rusting and needs replacing. Nissan refuses to help in any way; the rep would not answer most of my questions, and refuses to acknowledge the problems.

General Comments:

I bought this car to drive for 200,000 miles, but it's now falling apart. Nissan refuses any goodwill. I will never buy another Nissan or Infiniti.

Review Date: 18th June, 2014

2005 Nissan Altima SL Extra 2.5 from North America

Summary:

The random hard starting is getting old

Left inner tie rod arm at 130,000.

Battery in 2012.

Left front wheel bearing at 135,000.

Steering wheel u-joint knuckle at 135,000.

Camshaft position sensor at 140,000, and emission control sensor (expensive repair, $899).

Fan speed blower control resistor at 140,000.

Serpentine belt at 140,000.

Camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor at 155,000.

Completely new rotors and pads at 155,000.

General Comments:

Imagine you're the captain of an enormous boat. This boat is huge, fairly slow, but very comfortable. This about sums up the Altima.

While the car has been relatively good for 2 years that I owned it, I feel I must speak about the repeated problems I've had with the crankshaft and camshaft position sensors.

The car will sometimes have a hard time starting. This worrying fact has caused me to sell the car at a steep discount.

The car is very roomy and comfortable. Nissan knows how to make a great sounding sound system. The NDSS 6x9's in the back seriously sound like after market bass.

Sadly, the only Nissan I may ever buy would be a GT-R, but at their prices, that will not likely happen.

So long, good bye, and never again.

Review Date: 14th June, 2013

15th Jun 2013, 07:34

So, you buy a old car and expect it to run like new?

It's amazing how many people come on here to complain about cars they buy that are close to 10 years old.

17th Jun 2013, 00:04

130,000 kilometers on an eight-year-old car isn't exactly "severe service." Problems with the engine and camshaft timing on such a young vehicle are not really acceptable, in my opinion. The author is right to be annoyed.

17th Jun 2013, 16:36

It seems Nissan has problems with grounding the upper parts of their engines. Over time the factory grounds seem to fail. I own a 1997 Maxima with V6 that had intermittent hard starting, random variation in idle speed and other gremlins. I studied the Stillen grounding kit instructions and made my own cables. Voila! All the gremlins are gone. You may have luck by mimicking this grounding scheme. Check the battery ground at the engine as well. Mine was corroded.

See http://www.nissanraceshop.com/product/331974/stillen-grounding-nissan-altima-0206-606330

Good luck.

26th Jun 2013, 00:22

Actually, I had a problem with the car mainly because it wouldn't start reliably any more. Go to the store, come back - it turns but won't fire. Wait 2-5 minutes. It might start. Repeat. In 1 year I spent over $2000 in repairs.

I sold it for cheap, and bought a newer non-Nissan (Mazda). No regrets.

20th Sep 2014, 04:47

The cam and crank sensors are very common problems with the 2.5L, and both make it hard to start. However the repair shouldn't be very expensive as the sensors are $20 each. I have changed both on several 2.5 Altimas; they're a little tight, but it's not a hard job at all.

2005 Nissan Altima from North America

Summary:

Would love it even more if I could figure out what is wrong with it

Transmission will not engage if car has been parked for long periods of time (8hrs +).

General Comments:

The car held up, considering how many miles I have put on it.

Review Date: 6th February, 2011

2005 Nissan Altima SE 3.5 from North America

Summary:

Wouldn't buy another Nissan

Wears out brakes fast... Could be my driving.

Lost power going down the freeway. Gas pedal wouldn't work. They replaced it for free.

Transmission stopped in the middle of the street... goes in reverse fine, but won't go up hills or faster than 5mph on level streets.

General Comments:

Noisy on the freeway.

Review Date: 12th June, 2010