1986 Nissan Hardbody Pickup 3.0 liter V6 from North America

Summary:

The most dependable vehicle I've ever owned

Replaced defective radio at 8055 miles.

Paint bubbled and peeled at 85075 miles. Repainted by Nissan at no charge.

Replaced headlight column switch at 114310 miles.

Replace speedometer cable at 124600 miles.

Replaced clutch at 137827 miles.

Replaced alternator at 160996 miles.

Replaced starter at 162814 miles.

Replaced air conditioner compressor at 187217 miles.

Replaced ignition switch at 201594 miles.

Paint on hood is cracking and fading.

General Comments:

I have changed the oil and filter religiously every 3000 miles and the engine runs as good after 212000 miles as it did the day I bought it 16 years ago.

The body is tight and rock solid with no rattles or squeaks.

The engine is a 3 liter V-6 and I still average over 21 miles per gallon.

I anticipate driving this truck at least another 16 years.

Review Date: 30th September, 2003

1986 Nissan Hardbody Pickup LXI Z24I from North America

Summary:

This truck makes me NOT want a new truck.

Three failed water pumps 100,000 175,000 and 250,00 miles respectively.

Transmission bearings and clutch replaced at 170,000 miles.

Replaced the speedometer at 90,000 miles.

Exhaust manifold has been cracked for four years but doesn't seem to be getting worse.

General Comments:

Many times throughout the 13 years I've owned this truck I have overloaded and overworked it. It ALWAYS runs.

The fuel economy isn't great, around 19mpg, but I can count on it to be the same no matter how much of a load I put on it.

This pickup is one of the few vehicles that I can still repair myself. Transmission, electrical, or whatever else needs repair.

Review Date: 2nd September, 2003

1986 Nissan Hardbody Pickup Rear Wheel Drive Z21 from North America

Summary:

One very, very reliable and dependable truck. Highly recommended.

Back Right Spring broke, had shock absorbers replaced. New Battery put in 3 years ago. Rear brake light and light wires needed re-wiring. Severe body rust. Rear Exhaust fell off. Rewired Headlight wiring. Front and Back Brake Drums, rotors and disks went out twice.

General Comments:

This truck was originally owned on a farm in Minnesota and used outdoors a lot in -40 F weather. I purchased it and took it way out in the backcountry and outback in severe dusty and rocky terrain. I also drove it in -40 F weather in Minnesota and 100+ F weather in Las Vegas NV and drove it from Los Angeles to San Francisco to New York and back again. I also enjoyed numerous nights camping out in the California & Nevada Deserts under the stars.

I can say one thing, the abdundant miles, driving temperatures and severe terrain driven on this truck don't put it to justice the reliabilty and dependability this vehicle has given me. I have never owned such a reliable, strong vehicle.

Nissan's pick up trucks don't get any better. The next new truck I buy is going to be a Nissan.

Review Date: 8th August, 2003

1986 Nissan Hardbody Pickup SE V6 3.0 from North America

Summary:

My Nissan is a nice one, and it is mine, and you can't have it

The only thing that I can remember is a board went bad that maintains the idle speed. 75,000 mile mark.

I don't think that paint fade counts at this time (do you?).

Replace tires every 4 years (due to dry-rot)!

General Comments:

Had a 1980 KingCab new as a teen through high school and college in the North Georgia mountains. It did better than I did.

1986 Hard Body, KingCab, SE V6. Bought new as a single man, honeymoon, built house, raised two kids (they still fit at 9 and 11 years old), change oil, add gas and GO!

Review Date: 23rd December, 2002

1986 Nissan Hardbody Pickup XE 2.4 Z24 from North America

Summary:

Great Truck!

Bad Clutch at 100,000.

Paint went bad at 85,000.

General Comments:

I have a longbed 86.5 with the Z24 and the 5 speed. I love this truck. It will always start, and never stops running!

Somebody asked for horsepower specs. They aren't flattering, but here they are:

For 1986.5 pickup (and applies to most pickups probably through the 1990 year, but don't take my word for it).

Z24i 2.4 4 cylinder--106 hp @ 4800 rpm's, 137 ft-lbs torque @ 2500 rpm's.

VG30 3.0 V6--140 hp @ 4800 rpm's, 166 ft-lbs torque @ 2800 rpm's.

Review Date: 29th October, 2002