1993 Nissan Hardbody Pickup Reviews

First year of ownership1993
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 2.4L Manual
Previous carNissan Chevy

Summary:

Best money ever spent

A relay switch went out on me a few years down the road; something to do with starting up the engine. Had that replaced by the dealer, and no issues since.

The manual transmission went out 6 years after purchase, after 100k or so miles. This was due to letting everyone drive my truck. Do not lend out your baby.

The timing chain guides busted and would rattle when the engine was fired up, only if it sat for a day or so. Finally had that replaced at 292k, 95k miles later. Engine smokes a little, off and on, but still runs strong.

Do not like the cheap plastic interior, which became brittle after 10+ years later.

Seat belt, driver's side was replaced by the dealer free of charge; standard practice I was told.

General Comments:

I love this truck, considering I let everyone in my family drive it, loaned it out, and friends drive it. The truck ran off the road a few times, and there were some sporadic moments of not taking care of it.

Eighteen years later, it still runs great. I've used my truck later on to haul firewood out of the mountains of New Mexico, maybe at least 10 cords or more.

This truck is awesome if you need something basic, nothing fancy, to get you to work and back and haul stuff around. You can always upgrade your truck if needed.

Very, very, very, reliable! Cannot go wrong.

Review Date: 17th November, 2011

5th Nov 2013, 18:48

There is not a better small truck on the market. My old truck has 365123 miles on it, and I drive it every day to work, and the A/C still works, but it looks like it needs to be in the scrap yard.

1993 Nissan Hardbody Pickup King Cab 2 Dr SE 4WD Extended V6 from North America

First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission V6 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Camaro

Summary:

Great truck for anybody

No problems, great truck, I love it.

General Comments:

I love this truck. I just got mine about a week ago as a gift from my dad. My dad bought it for $700 and gave it to me.

This truck is great; it small, but has a lot of room in the cab. Perfect for carrying stuff.

I use my 93 Hardbody for my fire fighting. So far it has got me to 4 fires safe, and this truck has a wonderful 4x4.

This truck is a must own. I am glad I got this truck, and I am planning to keep it for another 2 or 4 years.

Great truck, and would be perfect for hunters.

Review Date: 15th May, 2010

1993 Nissan Hardbody Pickup SE V6 from North America

Engine and transmission V6 Manual
Previous carIsuzu Trooper

Summary:

Best truck you will ever buy for the price. Better yet, the best truck you could own!!!

Clutch was replaced once at 128000, and radius arm bushings went out. Otherwise nothing.

The only downfall is that off-road parts are scarce.

General Comments:

This truck is amazing. It never breaks down, has never been stuck, and I am an avid off-roader.

It is great on gas, looks awesome with my 2in lift and 32in tires. I can't say everything that makes me love the truck, but I would never get rid of it as it's been in the family since new.

Review Date: 23rd June, 2009

1993 Nissan Hardbody Pickup 2.4 4 cylinder from North America

First year of ownership1993
Engine and transmission 2.4 4 cylinder Manual

Summary:

Freaking awesome truck

Battery, alternator, water pump, bearings, starter and passenger door no longer opens.

General Comments:

My truck has a great running 2.4 4 cyl 5 speed. This is the best truck ever built. It has survived many off road trips, and for many years was used as a work horse for my landscaping company. It plowed snow for 5 years in a row (that's in the mtn's of PA).

About a year ago a worker over filled the oil by 1 quart; it was smoking badly and was in the middle of a job and had no tools to let the oil out, so I drove it home 20 miles with it smoking badly. Let the oil out and put in something from the auto parts store to stop smoking, which worked after a little bit. I retired it from my fleet of trucks, and now it's used as an off road truck. Before I took it off the road, it was still seeing 20mpg easily.

Today my son takes it in the woods and it sees some rough terrain, and gets a pretty good beating, and it was jumped 6 foot with very minor damage (dipstick tube broke). He added a snorkel to the intake and many times it sees water up to the headlights. This truck just won't give up; starts right up each time and runs like a champ.

Review Date: 6th May, 2009

24th Nov 2011, 13:41

I purchased my 1993 Nissan 4x4 pickup 4 months ago. It is a good looking, rust free, refurbished vehicle that has a marked title. Has new tires and wheels, and ran true and straight. Seemed like a good deal at the time. Now it sits at a friends garage with the engine removed and in need of new rod bearings and clutch. I'm now on a Chevy Chase vacation, as all this trouble surfaced on my way to my Eastern Oregon elk hunt, which left us stranded for over 30 hours in the snow. Read all the great reviews on Nissan 4x4's, checked the rig out, yes it had been serviced, looked clean and sharp. Gas mileage was 14.45mpg on the trip. What a disaster $$$$$.

28th Dec 2011, 21:04

When I reported my unfortunate experience with my 4x4 Nissan pickup, I was unaware of the real cause of this disaster. A lack of basic maintenance, regular oil changes, was the sole cause of this engine failure. My brother is an experienced Toyota mechanic, and he did the engine swap. He told me that Nissans may not be as easy to work on as Toyotas, but that this failure was 100% neglect and NOT any flaw with Nissan. A new to me engine and new clutch has transformed this little truck into a very nice rig. MY APOLOGIES to Nissan Motor Corporation for my ignorant comments.

2nd Jul 2012, 18:39

I've fallen in love with this little truck. My engine replacement, new clutch and new exhaust system = GREAT TRUCK. Repairing it was well worth it.

Lesson learned: thoroughly check out any used vehicle before you buy it. Considering what I paid for it, everything came out OK... except for the ruined elk hunt.

Will not overlook Nissan in the future... no longer Toyota prejudiced.