2000 Nissan Maxima Reviews - Page 12 of 25

2000 Nissan Maxima SE V6 from North America

Year of manufacture1999
Engine and transmission V6 Automatic
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

Good car, but like any others has it's problems

Maxima has the service engine soon light on, replaced sensors, but it still comes and goes, pretty much the only major thing wrong with the car.

Bought it from a local dealer and about 5 miles off of the lot the light came on. Dealer took it in guaranteed it was fixed, however it took about 100 miles before the light came back on. Wife drives it mostly and she states that it hesitates from take off the first time you step on the gas, I've only noticed it once or twice... had the O2's replaced, plugs/wires and air filter swapped to a K&N to no avail. got it back from MY mechanic and it does the same.

General Comments:

Really quick when it hit's operating temp, after hesitation goes away...

Handles great, tight steering and great breaking.

Comfortable interior for trips (and I have a bad back)

Review Date: 29th May, 2007

2000 Nissan Maxima SE 3.0 from North America

Previous carToyota Avalon

Summary:

Very unreliable and troublesome

O2 sensors at 70,000 miles.

Throttle position sensor at 92,000 miles.

Idle control at 63,000 miles.

Two coils at 60,000 miles.

Mass air flow sensor at 76,000 miles.

Crank position sensor at 90,000 miles.

SES light still comes back on after all the repairs and parts and replaced.

General Comments:

I had a 1990 Maxima and loved it. Very reliable and trouble free.

The 2000 Maxima is not reliable and guzzles gas too. I have spent over $7,000 in repairs and the SES light still comes back on.

I will never buy another Nissan car of any model.

Review Date: 16th April, 2007

15th Aug 2010, 17:56

I agree. I owned a 2000 Maxima SE, and had to replace the struts, MAF, coils, etc, etc!!!

I guess it's true what they say; never buy a change over model. I loved this car when running good (looks and style), but we sold it for a Pathfinder before anything major started happening. Now I'm back in a 2009 Maxima, and boy do I love it!!!

2000 Nissan Maxima GLE Meridian Edition 3.0 from North America

Year of manufacture2000

Summary:

I love my car, but I question Nissan's reputation for honesty and integrity

The 100,000 mile guaranteed spark plugs needed to be replaced at 46,000 miles.

General Comments:

When I purchased my 2000 Maxima GLE Meridian Edition in 2000, I was told by the dealership that the spark plugs were guaranteed for 100,000 miles. Recently, when the check engine light came on at 46,000 miles, I took it to the dealership and was advised that the spark plugs would have to be replaced to the tune of almost $900. If they were guaranteed for 100,000 miles, why is Nissan refusing to honor their claim?

Review Date: 4th April, 2007

4th Apr 2007, 23:20

Hi, I think that someone is trying to rip you off! I never Heard of a $900 spark plug job!. I think you should go somewhere else and get another estimate. A simple tune-up should only run between $60 to $100 at a local auto shop.

16th May 2007, 18:37

I unfortunately had the same experience, however my Maxima had 89,000 miles. I was still in shock when the estimate came back at $1100. That amount included ignition coils. The coils are pricey! I just decided to purchase the parts and have my boyfriend do it. By the way, the "5 hours of labor" really came to be 45 minutes.

2000 Nissan Maxima GLE from North America

Previous carChevrolet Corsica

Summary:

Replacing your gas cap my solve your "Service Engine Soon" light problem

Service Engine Light for O2 Sensor.

Had to replace arm console.

General Comments:

Reading previous comments re: replacement of O2 sensors, I had to write a comment about might experience. My "Service Engine Soon" light came on after I had put gas into my car one cold morning. I found out my gas cap was not sealing properly thus causing the "Service Engine Soon" light to come on.

I took it to the dealership. The guy at the dealership told me all three sensors and a exhaust part needed to be replaced and the car would not pass my next emissions inspection. The cost $800 bucks!! The dealer charged me $95 dollars to tell me this.

I rode around with this light on for about 12 months until I got feed up with this light being on constantly. I order a new gas cap from Nissan to replaced the old gas. This solved my problem in a few days. While driving home from work one day, I notice the light had gone off. It has continued to stay off for over five months. Better yet, I passed my emission inspections today.

Try replacing your gas cap. The cost was only $25 bucks. Also, the guy at the dealership smiled when I told him I solved my $800 dollars problem with a $25 dollars gas cap.

Be careful. The dealership is all about making money any way possible.

Review Date: 31st March, 2007