2000 Nissan Maxima SE 3.0 from North America

Summary:

I really enjoy this car on road trips, but around town it can be tough to operate. Quirky, but good

SES light intermittent.

Shifter pops out of 4th gear.

Slight stumbling due to MAF sensor.

General Comments:

Powerful, smooth engine.

29mpg on highway.

Steering is sharp, a little numb however which could be the tires used.

The only sound I hear inside at speed is the road noise... no wind or engine. Very quiet.

SE model suspension is firmer than GLE/GXE and can be a little stiff than I'd like at times, but it corners very flat with no body roll.

Driver ergonomics are a disaster. Clutch pedal is too far away, steering wheel is pretty much fixed right in your lap. I've tried to adjust the 'friction zone' of the clutch pedal to no avail. Short people will have trouble driving this car.

Shifter is vague, certainly not precise as in a German sedan or RWD vehicle. Synchro's are balky and don't allow for quick shifting. I'd almost advise NOT getting this model in a 5-speed for these reasons. Too bad considering the sporting nature.

Typical SES light comes on trying to lure me to the dealer for a $1000 service. I refuse. Code is for the O2 sensors, a non-issue. It drives fine.

MAF sensor replaced ($90) and helped remove the slight hesitation.

Headlights are heavily hazed for some reason. Again, a non-issue, but suprising anyway. I'd love to get the HID's at some point.

Today the car wouldn't start, and when it did was very slow turnover. Checking the starter motor tomorrow, could be clutch switch. Battery/connectors are fine.

Review Date: 10th August, 2007

2000 Nissan Maxima GLE 3.0 from North America

My car is idling low, every time I turn it on, it takes a little while for it to warm up, and it almost seems like it is going to stall. Once I start going it only wants to do 20 miles an hour, and only gets up to 3000 rpms... something is wrong with my car... whats going on?

Review Date: 29th July, 2007

29th Jul 2007, 20:37

Our VW did that and it turned out to be a faulty catalytic converter.

2000 Nissan Maxima SE from North America

SES light is on and the car did not pass emission inspection (Code P0420) in May 07.

General Comments:

I have have a 2000 Maxima SE with 114,000 miles on it. I know very little of car repairs. The car has not had any major problem so far. I had the dealer changed the Mass Air Flow a couple years back because of SES on. The SES light was off for a few months and then came back again and has stayed on ever since. The SES caused the car to fail the emission inspection in May 07 (Code P0420). I have 60 days to fix it and retest emission. I did some on-line research and found out that Code P0420 has something to do with Catalytic Converter efficiency so I brought the car to Meineke on Saturday, 6/2/07. Meineke looked at it, charged me $47, and told me to bring it to the dealer because there is a Technical Service Bulletin out there. I am scheduled to bring the car to the dealer on Wednesday, but after reading all the horrible stories posted, I am having a serious second thought! I can certainly relate to comments posted on 31st May 2007, 23:44. I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions on next course of action from folks reading these comments.

Review Date: 4th June, 2007

2000 Nissan Maxima SE 3.0 from North America

Summary:

More trouble than it is worth

Replace all coils at 60K

Replace power window switch at 70K

Replace MAF at 90K

Replace 02 sensor at 100K

Replace another 02 sensor at 105K

Replace starter at 107K

Replace all exhaust behind at at 107K

Lots of problems with warped rotors

Frequent replacement of brakes/rotors

5 broken wheel lugs over the last 4 years

Front driver's side door sags

12V accessory plug quit working

Trunk latch broken

Noisy front end during sharp turns.

General Comments:

Very expensive to maintain.

Service Engine Soon light comes on frequently.

Averaging about $2000/year in repair costs.

Very nice V6 engine.

Consumer Reports ranks it high in reliability, but I've never owned a more unreliable car. My cheap Pontiacs were more reliable at 200K miles than this car is at 100K.

No more Nissans for me.