2003 Nissan Micra E from UK and Ireland - Comments

1st Sep 2013, 06:45

I bought a Nissan Micra 1.0l in 2003 (new shape) after driving my dad's older car for years with no engine problems whatsoever.

I drove it for 5 years before I noticed problems, and the diagnostics showed it was the cam shaft sensor. Changed this, but symptoms still remain as the timing chains stretch. This is extremely expensive to repair, & how long will the new one last???

Such a shame as I have had no other mechanical problems with this car, but I would never buy any Nissan ever again.

We have a Ford and Toyota in the household as well, and I would stick to these.

8th Oct 2013, 19:17

Yes, my daughter just bought 03 Micra. Drove it the 120 miles back home and it drove like a dream. Good car, but 5 days later the engine light came on. Got a loan of a computer to tell me what's wrong, and it's telling me faulty timing chain. Turned the light off on the dash. 4 days later it's back on, but the car is running grand. I think the tensioner in the timing chain sensor is reading wrong, because the car is driving OK. Has anybody out there got the same problem?

27th Nov 2013, 09:14

To the "8th Oct 2013, 19:17" writer and his sister:

How is your Micra after 2 months? Let us know please.

I have a Micra 2003 VISIA 05DRSA automatic with 45000 miles. I have the usual yellow light. Hard to start on a morning, but after 5 minutes, it purrs like a charm. Nissan mechanics told me I have to change the timing chain and the cam sensor. Total €1100!!!

Repair guarantee is 12 months. What if I have to change it after 12 months like another writer explained here?

Why do they have to change the cam sensor? Does it give wrong information? If yes, maybe the chain is not faulty. But if no, there is no need to change it as it is good!!

Why does a metal chain stretch so often? Old engines had lifetime chain endurance, 300000 km to 500000 km in a diesel engine.

Did they improve the replacement chain?

Is it PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE?

13th Jan 2014, 14:52

Same problem as most on here; Nissan Micra 1.0e 2003, hard to start on a morning, engine light on, once started runs and starts no bother all day. I mean you would think if the cam chain was stretched, the timing would be out and it would be running like a bag of dog poo all the time.

1st Mar 2014, 15:31

I am the writer of the 27th Nov 2013, 09:14 post

At the end I went to my usual mechanic (small company, ~3 employees). He proposed me to change the chain (genuine brand new, new generation: stronger) for €600 (I am in Ireland).

He did the fix early January, and now engine hums from the first rotation.

Everything is fixed. Hope this will last for a long time.

11th Mar 2014, 09:05

To reset your airbag light.

Turn the key on till the dash indicators come on (airbag being one of them).

Watch the air bag light. As soon as it goes out (this is the beginning of the flashing), turn the ignition off.

Repeat this two more times.

Then turn the ignition on again and the computer will be in diagnostic mode (the airbag light has a longer flashing now).

Start the car and the light will stop flashing, if there is nothing wrong with the system.

Add another comment