1998 Nissan Primera GT 2.0 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Low cost. High reliability

1 interior light bulb.

General Comments:

After enjoying four years of Nissan Skyline ownership I duly considered a Primera GT as a lower cost alternative whilst still enjoying some of the driving benefits.

I had heard good things about the type and in particular the SR20DE power plant, I was not disappointed.

With a full leather pack and limited edition green/purple paint the car is a dream to drive, if markedly softer suspension than that which I was used to. I plan to remedy the issue soon with a new suspension package and maybe some smarter boots.

All in all though, this model is highly recommended and I am certainly glad that I went for the slightly older model over a lower spec 'new' shape.

Review Date: 16th November, 2003

1998 Nissan Primera GX 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A great family car offering cheap comfortable motoring

Stone chips on the front bonnet.

Rear passenger door handle cover became loose.

Air conditioning does not function.

General Comments:

We have found the Primera to be very reliable.

We average between 39 and 42 mpg for a family of four with luggage and occasionally with a roof rack.

The handling is better than average and provided the 1.6 engine is revved above 3000 rpm, the performance is satisfactory.

The seats are comfortable. I am 1.95m tall and able to find a good driving position.

The car has a very large boot and is able to take all of the family holiday items (with careful packing).

I would definitely buy another Nissan, looking to the Tino or X-Trail to meet our needs.

Review Date: 14th July, 2003

1998 Nissan Primera 2.0 GT 2.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Lovely car - not a lot of money

Irritating rattle from dashboard area.

Rust blisters around rear spoiler - every one I have seen has this.

General Comments:

I used to sell Nissan's for a living - so it was a natural progression to get one for myself.

The performance is extremely good (especially when it hits around 3800rpm) - it still returns around 35mpg through various types of local and motorway combined driving.

The electronic trip computer is a very useful gadget too - lets you keep an eye on fuel etc.

Make sure the alloys are kept nicely - because they are big bucks to rectify.

Recommend Esure for insurance - they were nearly £500 cheaper than the AA ;o)

Review Date: 27th June, 2003

13th Aug 2007, 14:47

Thanks for recomendation about insurance!

My quote with Esure is £200 cheaper then Norwich Union Direct!

1998 Nissan Primera GX 1.6 16v from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Not up the usual Japanese standards of ultra reliability

Bad oil leak from gearbox.

Clutch went at 55,000 miles.

2nd gear synchromesh weak.

Persistent drive shaft/coupling faults.

Clonking from suspension.

Fuel guage is very erratic/unreliable.

Key programming failure-would not start.

Radio/cassette locked in secure mode.

Wheel trims have reacted to brake dust.

General Comments:

The car feels well built. and has excellent handling.

The performance 1.6 engine is not very inspiring.

The biggest disappointment has been reliability. The agent blames speed humps and uneven road where we live for abnormal wear on the drive shafts and suspension, yet we have no problems with our other cars.

The various electrical faults are even more frustrating as they simply should not arise on a car of this age and mileage, but are expensive to correct.

The dealer indicated that the radio unit locking up in SECURE mode is quite common. This is frankly, unacceptable.

Review Date: 16th June, 2003

4th Dec 2009, 12:42

I have a 98 Primera with 173000. Only 1 clutch has ever went in this car... I agree with the above about driving style..

1998 Nissan Primera GX 2.0 gas from Chile

Summary:

Great economical fun to drive car

Nothing.

General Comments:

Very reliable car. Reasonable performance and gas mileage.

Very uncomfortable driver seat, automatic transmission does not shift smoothly specially between first and second and when engine is cold.

Suspension is rather sporty (hard).

Engine is very responsive above 2500 RPM, style is rather anonymous, but good looking. Good trunk capacity, very comfortable and spacious back seat, very good upholstery.

After 5 years of use car runs great and has any noise, proving that fit and finish is well done.

My car was made in Japan.

Review Date: 31st May, 2003