1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Brougham 307 from North America

EFE valve.

Heater core.

Water pump.

Fuel pump.

General Comments:

I bought this car at an auction for $750. I originally intended to use the car as a "donor" for restoring a 1984 Delta 88, but I could not bear to scrap it.

It has been a fun adventure bringing this car back from one step from the salvage yard! Luckily, there are still many parts to be found at the salvage yards, because models 1980-1985 have many shared parts. I found a replacement door, trim, engine parts and gauges for reasonable prices. E-bay has been useful also.

Perhaps the greatest challenge was making sure all the vacuum hoses are routed properly! This is critical on these 80's motors.

I am happy, now that I have fixed it to be a reliable driver. The ride is typical Olds smooth, power accessories are nice, comfortable interior, lots of leg room, and the A/C is nice to have in Arizona.

I could buy a used newer car, but there is something unique about driving these older cars. At least I can still work on it with a basic tool set!

Review Date: 2nd April, 2008

1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale 5.0L from North America

This car is never for sale

The engine had to be replaced around the 31,000 mile mark due to my grandmother's lack of driving, and moving it only once or twice a week.

The interior roof is drooping.

General Comments:

Everything on the car is original except for the engine and of course the tires.

The car is the most comfortable vehicle I have ever ridden in. It feels like riding on a water bed when going over bumps and railroad tracks.

It is a pleasure to drive around and I have received many compliments on the car.

Though I have gotten numerous offers, I would never sell the car due to sentimental value and it was given to me by my grandmother who passed away in December 2004. RIP.

Review Date: 1st November, 2007

1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 royal 307 4bbl from North America

A little old school

Needs a little body work.

General Comments:

I just bought this car. It had one owner that has taken very good car of it. Until the person had an accident and I need to replace the header panel and pop out some dents on the sides. Nothing a little work can't fix. This car is very comfortable and runs great. I do not know much about it, but the first owner took very good care of it and I am sure it will last me a while.

Review Date: 21st February, 2006

1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale 5.0 from North America

One of the greatest American cars ever!!!

Windshield wiper control in steering column eventually died... glad I fixed it because car was worth it. Power steering pump died. Easy fix.

General Comments:

Generally speaking, having owned many luxury American cars, Ford and GM, the Olds Delta 88 is arguably one of the best models of the 80's built in America at the time. I still have mine in 2005 and it will go for another 20 years. To me that is a great car.

Review Date: 31st August, 2005

31st Aug 2005, 12:50

I have a 1983 Olds Delta 88 in pristine showroom condition. It has 85,000 on it now. Get the classic/antique insurance, I did. Costs me $ 82.00 a year.

30th Jan 2006, 23:28

Well I read your review and I do agree I just got my 1985 oldsmobile delta 88 and it is a very comfortable car. The owner before did not take care of it as he should have and there are minor things that need to be fixed, but in this make and model and year I think it is well worth the money!

1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 royale brougham luxury sedan 307 V8 from North America

The best ever

Not to much has gone wrong with the car since I have owned it. the seat was broken however so I had to manually adjust the drivers seat to fit my height. the radiator I had to replace since the car sat for about 2 years without being driven. shocks need to be replaced after 20 years and 84000 miles. is that something I should put under wrong?

General Comments:

I love this car, its like riding on air and I can race with the best of them. I wish they made more cars like this instead of todays crappy front wheel drive garbage cars.

Review Date: 20th June, 2005

21st Jun 2005, 07:17

Rear wheel drive is making a comeback, at least in larger cars, and those who aspire to sportiness.

With traction-control systems that are more sophisticated than the old limited-slip differential, the lack of traction on ice/snow and other slippery surfaces is not as much of a concern with a rear-drive vehicle like it used to be.

Although, GM seems to still be staying with front wheel drive for now even on its upcoming new models.