1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Reviews - Page 2 of 6

1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale 5.0L from North America

Engine and transmission 5.0L Automatic

Summary:

This car is never for sale

The engine had to be replaced around the 31,000 mile mark due to my grandmother's lack of driving, and moving it only once or twice a week.

The interior roof is drooping.

General Comments:

Everything on the car is original except for the engine and of course the tires.

The car is the most comfortable vehicle I have ever ridden in. It feels like riding on a water bed when going over bumps and railroad tracks.

It is a pleasure to drive around and I have received many compliments on the car.

Though I have gotten numerous offers, I would never sell the car due to sentimental value and it was given to me by my grandmother who passed away in December 2004. RIP.

Review Date: 1st November, 2007

1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 royal 307 4bbl from North America

Engine and transmission 307 4bbl Automatic

Summary:

A little old school

Needs a little body work.

General Comments:

I just bought this car. It had one owner that has taken very good car of it. Until the person had an accident and I need to replace the header panel and pop out some dents on the sides. Nothing a little work can't fix. This car is very comfortable and runs great. I do not know much about it, but the first owner took very good care of it and I am sure it will last me a while.

Review Date: 21st February, 2006

1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale 5.0 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Previous carGMC Datsun 620 pickup

Summary:

One of the greatest American cars ever!!!

Windshield wiper control in steering column eventually died... glad I fixed it because car was worth it. Power steering pump died. Easy fix.

General Comments:

Generally speaking, having owned many luxury American cars, Ford and GM, the Olds Delta 88 is arguably one of the best models of the 80's built in America at the time. I still have mine in 2005 and it will go for another 20 years. To me that is a great car.

Review Date: 31st August, 2005

31st Aug 2005, 12:50

I have a 1983 Olds Delta 88 in pristine showroom condition. It has 85,000 on it now. Get the classic/antique insurance, I did. Costs me $ 82.00 a year.

30th Jan 2006, 23:28

Well I read your review and I do agree I just got my 1985 oldsmobile delta 88 and it is a very comfortable car. The owner before did not take care of it as he should have and there are minor things that need to be fixed, but in this make and model and year I think it is well worth the money!

1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 royale brougham luxury sedan 307 V8 from North America

Year of manufacture1984
Engine and transmission 307 V8 Automatic
Previous carCadillac DeVille

Summary:

The best ever

Not to much has gone wrong with the car since I have owned it. the seat was broken however so I had to manually adjust the drivers seat to fit my height. the radiator I had to replace since the car sat for about 2 years without being driven. shocks need to be replaced after 20 years and 84000 miles. is that something I should put under wrong?

General Comments:

I love this car, its like riding on air and I can race with the best of them. I wish they made more cars like this instead of todays crappy front wheel drive garbage cars.

Review Date: 20th June, 2005

21st Jun 2005, 07:17

Rear wheel drive is making a comeback, at least in larger cars, and those who aspire to sportiness.

With traction-control systems that are more sophisticated than the old limited-slip differential, the lack of traction on ice/snow and other slippery surfaces is not as much of a concern with a rear-drive vehicle like it used to be.

Although, GM seems to still be staying with front wheel drive for now even on its upcoming new models.

1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royal Brougham 307 cid from North America

First year of ownership1985
Engine and transmission 307 cid Automatic
Most recent distance204000 miles
Previous carChevrolet Impala

Summary:

The best car I have ever owned

The warning chime quit in the first year.

The cruise control needed repair after a few years.

The radiator was replaced after 150,000 miles.

General Comments:

This has been the most reliable car I have ever owned.

It still has the original alternator, motor and transmission.

The car does not burn oil and does not need oil between oil changes.

Review Date: 6th January, 2005

7th Jan 2005, 06:59

Is this the downsized model, or the full size rear drive one? This was a good article, but a description of the ride handling and acceleration would have been nice.

7th Jan 2005, 10:16

The Delta 88 did not go to fwd until '86. The 307 engine designation should have tipped you off that this was rwd model; the fwds were all V6's.

You should have no trouble finding more detailed descriptions of the rwd 88's on this site, seems like every one who still owns one has put a review in here!

12th Jul 2009, 23:46

Great car. I have had one for 19 years, and drove it 100.000 miles here in Iceland, it is still great, just like 19 years ago.

13th Jul 2009, 11:38

I wonder which car has the highest percentage of reviews with the sentence 'best car I have ever owned' in it. I'll wager it might well be the early 1980s Oldsmobile Delta 88.

26th Jun 2011, 20:56

I bought one, and it's my first car too, SO it's an awesome first car; very classy and layback. I love everything about it. Delta 88, with only 69,000 miles.