1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Brougham 4 door 307 V8 from North America
I was used to the MPG of the '99 Buick, but the truck-like attitude of the Olds made up for it
First bought it:
- Headliner got ripped out (got a foam bath on the drive home).
- Busted brake line (drive home).
- Busted signal lens (I blew the brake line) :)
After owning for a few months:
- Original radio shorted out (replaced with cassette type).
- A/C never worked.
- Starter fried at 100K mark.
- Leaks oil (1 qt/500 miles).
- Carb got tuned wrong (runs 20 mph/flat ground @ idle).
- Developed a horrible vacuum leak behind the glove box.
- A lot of shudder & play in the steering wheel (typical??).
- I need to do a brake job on her.
I use this as a truck.
- Three '99-series LeSabres.
- Two-three Rangers.
- An '89 Mustang.
- A '77 LeSabre (that was a nightmare...).
- Two Pintos.
- One Cavalier.
It's hauled... (ha ha)
- My tool box on a daily basis (outward dented trunk space).
- SEVERAL bicycles (in the trunk/in the back seat).
- Fire wood.
- An ATV sticking out of the trunk.
- Around ten engines (Ford 2.3s... a Chevy 350 or two).
Long story short, there's an awful good reason that I had the hitch welded to the bumper. It takes a lickin'... and just keeps tickin' man! MPG is/was (vacuum leak) around 18-20 not hauling (totally stock) anything. With a Pinto, Ranger-ish sized car, around 10. I have under 1000.00 in it... and I love it. With the exception of the dead starter, ain't ever left me walking. And it runs rich enough that I don't have to worry about it in cold weather!
Bought the car fall of 2012 (I think) and drove it 'til spring of '13. Sold it to a guy 2 hours away, cussed myself like a big dog. My girlfriend & best friend MADE me go get it back. "Stop B****n' about that Oldsmobile - and go get it!"
Man I'm glad I listened to them.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 9th February, 2016