1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Brougham 4 door 307 V8 from North America

Summary:

I was used to the MPG of the '99 Buick, but the truck-like attitude of the Olds made up for it

First bought it:

- Headliner got ripped out (got a foam bath on the drive home).

- Busted brake line (drive home).

- Busted signal lens (I blew the brake line) :)

After owning for a few months:

- Original radio shorted out (replaced with cassette type).

- A/C never worked.

- Starter fried at 100K mark.

- Leaks oil (1 qt/500 miles).

- Carb got tuned wrong (runs 20 mph/flat ground @ idle).

Recently:

- Developed a horrible vacuum leak behind the glove box.

- A lot of shudder & play in the steering wheel (typical??).

- I need to do a brake job on her.

General Comments:

I use this as a truck.

It's tow-dollied...

- Three '99-series LeSabres.

- Two-three Rangers.

- An '89 Mustang.

- A '77 LeSabre (that was a nightmare...).

- Two Pintos.

- One Cavalier.

It's hauled... (ha ha)

- My tool box on a daily basis (outward dented trunk space).

- SEVERAL bicycles (in the trunk/in the back seat).

- Fire wood.

- An ATV sticking out of the trunk.

- Around ten engines (Ford 2.3s... a Chevy 350 or two).

Long story short, there's an awful good reason that I had the hitch welded to the bumper. It takes a lickin'... and just keeps tickin' man! MPG is/was (vacuum leak) around 18-20 not hauling (totally stock) anything. With a Pinto, Ranger-ish sized car, around 10. I have under 1000.00 in it... and I love it. With the exception of the dead starter, ain't ever left me walking. And it runs rich enough that I don't have to worry about it in cold weather!

Bought the car fall of 2012 (I think) and drove it 'til spring of '13. Sold it to a guy 2 hours away, cussed myself like a big dog. My girlfriend & best friend MADE me go get it back. "Stop B****n' about that Oldsmobile - and go get it!"

Man I'm glad I listened to them.

Review Date: 9th February, 2016

14th Feb 2016, 03:54

"runs 20 mph/flat ground @ idle".

Check your Idle Load Compensator -

Worked for a Buick dealer back in the early-90s. Saw a lot of action on these.

1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Brougham 5.0 307 from North America

Summary:

Couch on wheels

Radiator was leaking.

Power seat won't move.

Driver's window stripped.

General Comments:

I purchased the car from its original owner. The car had sat up for the last few years.

The car has a ride out of this world.

After fixing bugs from the car sitting, the more I drive it, the better it runs.

Review Date: 8th September, 2011

8th Sep 2011, 18:08

Couch on wheels is right! You cannot beat these for comfort and ride quality.

This car will last forever if well maintained, these are way tougher than the newer plastic toy cars.

If it has been sitting for a while, I recommend running a tank of premium fuel through it, and a small bottle of carburetor / fuel injector cleaner. It will run like a top, and takes care of any problems from the car sitting.

Happy motoring, and enjoy that beautiful land yacht!

16th May 2012, 22:08

The best car I ever owned. Bought it new and toured across the U.S. and Canada 24 times. I traded an '82 Cadillac Sedan DE Ville for it, and the Olds was superior in every way.

It now has covered 440,000 kilometers, and I still use it as my daily driver (May, 2012) summer and winter. Always starts in the coldest Western Canadian winter weather. The only trouble was rebuilding the transmission twice, new starter once, new shocks and new paint in '92 (GM painting was crappy in those years).

Believe it or not, it still has the original factory exhaust system.

1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Brougham LS Oldsmobile Rocket 5.0L (307CI) 4bbl from North America

Summary:

Is there a law saying manufacturers can't produce cars to be proud of anymore?

Cassette/FM Tuner was crap, needed a CD deck anyways.

The car was dirty when I bought it. Had to invest in a fundraiser car wash in a 7/11 parking lot.

Bird crap magnet.

Squeaky air compressor belt.

Unreasonably over-comfortable.

Absolutely useless in snow.

General Comments:

This car is the most beautifully crafted piece of machinery I have ever laid my eyes on or rode in, let alone OWNED. Wall to wall carpet, actually it goes up the walls. If something on this car isn't solid steel or velor, it's faux wood or vinyl.

This car is all stock except for the stereo and speakers. She has under 100k original KM and starts right away in any climate conditions. This car absorbs everything. You could back over somebody and not feel it.

The cab seats six, the trunk seats six, and the engine bay seats 8 cylinders, delivering more power than you could ever need.

I get 750Km out of a tank, which costs me 85 dollars at 95 cents a litre. Seems to get better mileage than my Ciera.

Review Date: 30th March, 2009

31st Mar 2009, 11:36

Not poodles, bodies, get it right man!!!