1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Reviews - Page 5 of 6

1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Brougham LS 307 cid V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 307 cid V8 Automatic
Distance when acquired120000 miles
Previous carN/A N/A

Summary:

Couch on wheels

Engine.

The 307 in with roller lifters is fairly quiet, but doesn't seem to want to move the car.

Transmission.

The THM 200-4R was not built strong enough for such a heavy car and engine engine. Consequently, I'm on rebuild tranny number two.

Paint.

The gray metallic paint is rapidly fading and coming off on the hood, trunk lid, and roof.

General Comments:

Overall.

Pretty good, except the tranny; lack-luster performance, but comfortable and good headroom.

Driving.

Little understeer, barely any road feel, absorbs bumps well. Good drifting and predictable emergency handling. Most stable at 25-35 and 75-80 mph.

Interior.

Good headroom for front and back seat. Easily fits four tall and/or large adults.

Review Date: 31st July, 2001

1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 V8 307 5.0L from North America

First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission V8 307 5.0L Automatic
Distance when acquired200156 miles

Summary:

It is the greatest car ever built

Starter replaced in 2000.

Water pump in 2000.

Radio went.

Windshield leaks.

Driver's seat only goes forward and back.

Passenger side rear window only opens from the driver's controls.

Blew the speakers in it, but other than that it's the greatest thing in the world.

General Comments:

Old Blue is the greatest car there is, it rides like a couch. You can really put 6 large people in there comfortably. It's the greatest, I love it. It may drink gas, but oh well, I've got a job.

Review Date: 28th February, 2001

14th Mar 2001, 13:59

I have to say that I as well own an "85" Delta 88. Betsy is the best thing that has happened to me in a while even though she has a few problems. Can I really blame her, though? She has had a total of three owners (that I know of) that didn't take very good care of her, and she still runs better than most of my friends cars.

16th Jul 2001, 15:55

I had one, too. It was a 4-door burgundy, stripped-down model. Power door locks was about it.

I drove it for 18 months, put 38,000 miles on her, and she never complained. I even got 22 mpg on one trip. But I made the mistake of letting her go.

Ultra-smooth ride, smooth acceleration, and a good snow car, too. Someday I may find another one if I'm lucky.

1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Brougham 5.0L V8 307 cui. from North America

Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 5.0L V8 307 cui. Automatic
Distance when acquired132000 miles

Summary:

A superbly dependable luxury car from the '80's. Compares to its Cadillac counterparts

Due to an accident in which I was rear-ended while stopped by a car that was going about 35 MPH, I had to have the back end rebuilt. I barely felt the collision, this car is a tank.

I had to have the brake line done at 139,000 miles.

It has had the transmission rebuilt by the previous owner.

The radio has terrible reception.

Guzzles gas; between 14 and 16 miles to the gallon. Oh well.

General Comments:

Okay, this car is an '85. But for some reason the stock system in it just kicks! I don't have the heart to replace it, so I just added a CD player adapter.

This car has the smoothest ride ever. It's like a land-yacht.

The softest, most relaxing interior of any car I've ridden in by far. It's comparable to my basement couch.

If it were a mafia car, one could say it had an eight-body trunk. Huge amount of trunk space.

I expect to get at least 60,000 more miles out of it yet.

Review Date: 6th February, 2001

27th Mar 2001, 08:04

My son has an 85. He just loves the car. However, this morning the heating/air went. He started the car and tried to put the heat on but nothing. No fan or anything. Any suggestions? The fuse was fine.

3rd May 2001, 18:58

CHeck the wiring to the controls, and the wiring to the fan motor.

10th Jul 2001, 21:00

I love this car, two problems that's all - brake line and a new exhaust. Oh well, what do you expect from an 85' that's been in Michigan all its life?

20th Jul 2001, 10:49

The heating/air controls go on these all the time.

It's not a big problem. There are 2 small plastic vacuum hoses under the hood that come off, one is black, the other tan. They can be found on the passenger side of the engine compartment, near the firewall.

Hook them back up, or replace, because they can crack.

6th Feb 2008, 23:08

I also have a 1985 Olds Delta 88 with poor radio reception and I can't cure it. I've replaced the antenna a couple of times, bought a new stereo, sent everything back to the manufacturer to inspect it, and had three different car audio shops check the system, installation and replace all the wiring. Everything looked perfect to them, but it's still as bad as when I bought the car two years ago. My only guess is that something in the main electrical system or the alternator in the car is grounded weird, shorting out, or sending a dirty current to the radio/antenna ground or radio power source, causing the poor reception pickup. My tip: don't go to town and replace everything in your audio system if you don't listen to the radio much, or just listen to tapes/cds.