1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royal Brougham 307 V8 from North America

Summary:

It's a good old cruiser

Water pump went after first year of ownership.

Head gasket needs replacing.

Transmission is about to go.

Heater core needed to be replaced.

Electrical system keeps blowing fuses.

Sparks shot out of the passenger side, making my girlfriend freak out and never want to ride in my car any more.

New exhaust, but it's bound to happen to an 85.

Driver-side window doesn't roll down making it hard for the cops to give me tickets.

Replaced the radio with new technology, but still have stock speakers that pound.

Paint peeled off trunk and parts of hood.

That's about it. Pretty easy to fix all of these problems and I hope that they stay easy.

General Comments:

This car has never let me down.

I think it's seen more action than my bed, probably because it's more comfortable.

I want a new car, but I think this one will stay with me.

Maybe I'll rebuild it and give it to my kids.

Review Date: 30th December, 2002

1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Brogham 5.0 V8 (307 c.i.) from North America

Summary:

The last of the great American sedans

Right before I started driving the car I bonded the great many rusty areas. Then I had it re-painted as close to the original color (medium sky-blue).

The transmission started to go at 115,000 and I had it rebuilt.

While I was driving home from work during the summer of 2000, it over-heated. I believe that the head gaskets are fried. As it turns out the car over-heated because it had holes in the radiator. It has not been driven except to have it backed into my garage since it over-heated.

General Comments:

While it was operational, I had some of the best times in that car. Its' interior is so spacious that I could fit about 6 football players comfortably.

It was a real animal off the line. I used to have no problems taking out most cars with a V6 engine and some other tanks, like my friend's 1976 Cadillac Sedan de Ville with a 424 V8.

When you drive this car it's like riding on a clouds, you don't even feel the road, much less the bumps.

Review Date: 3rd December, 2002

1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Brougham 5 litre 307 8 cylinder from North America

Summary:

A cheap beast on wheels!

When I bought the vehicle, the only maintenance to be done was the new transmission fluid and subsequently set-up the bands. This was never done by the original owner I bought it from.

Presently, the only job I have undertaken is the ball joints, and alignment and front brake pads that I replaced.

General Comments:

I bought this car for $900 certified and emission tested and other than the huge gas tank (94.5 litres) and four barrel carburetor sucking up the gas I have nothing but praise for this beast of a vehicle.

Review Date: 25th April, 2002

27th Dec 2006, 00:00

These cars are fast, comfortable, reliable and beautiful. I have driven mine for 50,000 miles with no problems. It is even worth buying these and restoring them, if you can overcome the smog control rules in your area. They do rust out though.

1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 from North America

Summary:

This vehicle is a very comfortable limousine

The AM/FM cassette (factory) is out of service. I understand that this a common problem.

The transmission is finally failing. It is a THM200R4.

Driver's seat belt buckle failed.

General Comments:

The ride is excellent. The car completely disregards speed bumps, much to the horror of the moron tailgating me.

I have bought Oldsmobile 88's and 98's since 1980 to serve as a family car and for my wife to haul the kids in. My three daughters have learned to drive in these beasts (a 1971 88, 1979 98 and now a 1985 88). Each were involved in accidents as children will be and received no injuries whatsoever. The vehicle performed perfectly. I am currently rebuilding the 1985 88.

Review Date: 14th August, 2001

5th Feb 2002, 19:35

I also have a 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88. I have had many engine problems with this car. They lock up easy. I have already overhauled it 5 times and I am now looking for another engine (307 4bbl 700 overdrive trans), the original can't be built anymore!

Hanna