Perodua Kelisa Reviews - Page 4 of 4

2003 Perodua Kelisa EZi 12 Valve EFi DOHC from Malaysia

Year of manufacture2003
Engine and transmission 12 Valve EFi DOHC Automatic

Summary:

Engineered for Fun

Too bumpy when tyres meet potholes. Tried to flatten my tires a bit, but steering became a bit too heavy, have to pump it back to normal.

Feel like falling to the sides when making a turning at 40-50 Km/h.

My boot door can't be opened using keys at times, need to push in a bit to in order to twist my key. Need to fix in my next service.

Engine feels VERY hot when I came out from the car, maybe engine compartment is too small for air flow due to this high performance TwinCam engine.

General Comments:

Quite okay torque for an automatic, but after replacing the 3 new racing spark plug, my car accelerate from stop-to-go in mere seconds. Most useful for me when coming out from traffic light stops. Quite a torqe monster, but not recommended for high speed driving, unless the car has been lowered 2 inches and tyres change to 165*55*15. Then, it would be a speed and torque monster. Nice combo...

Accessories are more than enough, quite satisfy with all the items, though I can't use the built-in hands free car kit for it only fit old Nokia phones, doesn't fit my Nokia 6610 though, what a waste.

Pleasure driving and easy handling, I don't have to worry about letting my gf drive it.

Review Date: 27th October, 2003

18th Mar 2005, 23:50

Man you are comparing both cars in different category... if you think that getting 206 is better than kelisa then why do you made a choice of buying Kelisa?

22nd Jul 2005, 22:44

Kelisa is a very average/good car for it's price in my opinion. I've too own a kelisa. Just change into performance springs and absorber, strut the chasis, change to 15x6 rims. Walla!~ a good road gripping and quite car. Now I've put a bolt-on turbo (DT04) in it. Much torque/power been squeeze out of it now. I'm now scared to push the car hard!~ ;)

2002 Perodua Kelisa GXi 1.0 from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture2002
Most recent year of ownership2002
Previous carRover - Austin 100

Summary:

A high spec car in a bargain basement class!

Nothing wrong with car at all.

General Comments:

Costing just £5500 I got metallic paint, CD player, twin airbags, central locking, power steering, electric windows and side body strips, 2 years warranty, 1 years tax and roadside assistance, this car is very good value for money.

The only problem with the car is that it can be a little squashed on long distances, but the best bit is its so much fun to drive!

This model is virtually identical to the Daihatsu Coure, but a couple of thousand pounds cheaper, so in my eyes this car is a real bargain!

We also have a Perodua Kenari GXi with the same spec, its over a year old and we have not had any problems at all. Although Perodua is quite unknown in the UK, the numbers of dealers are increasing. In my opinion this car is a brilliant alternative to high priced home built models, although Malaysian build quality is not as good as British standards, but I suppose it explains the low price.

All in all, well worth a test drive.

Review Date: 7th November, 2002

25th Feb 2003, 07:53

I agree that Peroduas are great to drive, but the Kenari in partcular has rather shoddy handling, especially at 60mph or more, because of the rather abrupt chassis.

29th Dec 2004, 05:13

I own a Perodua Kelisa EXi and on the whole I am very pleased with it. It's very nippy and seems to have much better performance and top speed than quoted. It does 500+ miles a week and returns 50-55 mpg. A much recommended one-person car or a first car to learn to drive in.

No problems with it except that the engine sounds 'sporty' which doesn't quite go with the styling. I bought the basic model so I want to fit a CD player, but cannot find any manual or fitting instructions anywhere - any ideas?

7th May 2005, 18:31

I own 1.0cc kelisa ex back then in Malaysia as now I'm living in the UK. It was a very interesting car to drive and things had been much better when it comes to its fuel consumption. Last time in Malaysia I made 9 cents per km as the fuel is quite cheap at around RM1.35 pLitre. I had clocked around 50k within 1 year, but never encounter any hesitation or even starting problem. Aneway, I would agree if some people say it is quite uncomfortable to drive a long distance trip with this car. however, this car's advantage comes when it involves driving around town, parking, acceleration and cornering. Overall, this cars ability over its price and maintenance is considerably well beyond expectation. A very good buy for dispatchers and metropolitan students.

14th Jun 2005, 01:04

I got myself a Kelisa back in July 2003.

Overall, I am quite happay with it. Fuel consumption is low. Maintenance is cheap. The handling is quite good for a car this size. I have not experience any quality issue so far (36,000 km).

However, the only problem is the engine noise.

The basic car comes without a CD player. However, installing one should not be a problem. I purchase a Sony CD player and installed it myself. Just follow the installation guide that comes along with the player.

11th Jul 2007, 06:48

Please help..! Does anyone know how to get the rev counter working if it stops working after a new battery has been fitted?

It was fine until the battery was killed by leaving the lights on, and we boost started it, the battery would not recharge so we replaced it-then the rev counter died.

Is there a trick to resetting it or the ECU?

Perodua UK and three dealers do not seem to know...

Many thanks, Geoff.