2000 Pontiac Bonneville Reviews - Page 3 of 9

2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI from North America

Model year2000
Year of manufacture2000
Previous carPontiac Grand Am

Summary:

Very nice ride

Both rear window regulators broke and needed replaced. Found a site on line that sold after market replacements for about $110 each. My Father is a Mechanical Technician, and was able to replace them both for me. (Does my brakes for me too)

Steering column needs lubricated? never saw this on any other car I owned. Had the place that does my oil change order the parts for this, still waiting to hear back from them.

Idler pulley bearing froze up and plastic pulley melted. Went to a local auto parts store and got a replacement metal pulley instead, and new belt for about $60. Father replaced that for me as well (always nice to know someone who can handle tools.)

Sun roof air foil was broken on 1 side, so the "dealership" I bought it from (used) fixed it by removing it. think they damaged the insulation strip because now it leaks. Drove through a car wash, every thing was fine until I hit the air dry system, then it was raining inside the car! Read the one about the guy who fixed it using insulation strips from Home Depot, if you could send me some information about how you did that, I would appreciate it, Thank! send info to :rsward1939@yahoo.com.

General Comments:

Fun car to drive, great power, heads up display, good sound system, luxurious, changed out the chrome 18" rims for 20" black and chrome "Hot wheels" rims, thinking about doing a custom paint job as well. (Dad, can I use part of your garage?)

Review Date: 17th October, 2007

2000 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L from North America

Model year2000
Year of manufacture1999
Engine and transmission 3.8L Automatic
Previous carPontiac Bonneville

Summary:

The car looks beautiful, but has many problems

Where to start:

Rear window regulator broke on the passenger side; Cost $350.

Constant and persistent water leaks in trunk and front driver's side; Water runs right into the car every time it rains.

Moon roof broke; leaked; wouldn't seal closed.

A/C won't work.

Front wheel bearing bad at less than 50,000 miles.

Clunking sound every time I turn my steering wheel; I was told it was the steering rack??!! How, why? It has hardly any miles on it for 7 years old.

A shimmy with the front tires; Had new tires; balanced, aligned, etc... numerous times. No one can figure out what it is.

General Comments:

I love the looks of the car; I love the comfort and sporty style... but the car is a total lemon. I am so disappointed.

I've had 2 other bonneville's; no major problems.

The head rests are a joke! If you were to get rear-ended, the head rests are set back too far to work!

The cup holders will not hold two cups at the same time!!!

I hope GM looks at these window regulators; the steering issues and the numerous water leaks that I see everyone else is complaining about too.

Where do we turn to make GM look at this stuff?

It is bad publicity to say "I'll never buy another Pontiac again."

Review Date: 7th May, 2007

17th Apr 2008, 20:33

Sounds like car was in a accident before you got it...

1st Dec 2008, 09:36

I have the same problems with this junk. Bought new. no accident. Front driver side leaks. Rear wheel wells leak rotted out into trunk. Coil burnt up at 30k miles. A/c leaks at 60k. Front brake lines under ABS motor rusted out both lines at 80k. Gas tank rotted out at 100k. Rear shocks bad at 50K. Front bad at 70 k. Rear bumper frame rotted out at 80k.

Now at 110K Front wheel shimmy.

Total junk.

Will never buy another GM

Have had 3 Ford Explorers:

1999, 276K miles still going strong.

2002, 1139K still running.

1991, 370K miles, had to junk as the body was rotting away.

11th Oct 2010, 16:29

I too have had trouble with the shimmy. My tire people said it was because I didn't get my tires rotated soon enough, and they started getting dips in them, so I got new ones and they did the same thing relatively soon. For now it is OK.

I also have the trunk leaking water.

I have had to have 2 window motors put in, and a water pump at 30,000.

My tire light would come on frequently to indicate my pressure was low, and it was. I got new tires for that reason as well.

My gas gauge has not worked for years.

Some of the interior lights quit working.

The knobs want to fly off the delay switch, so I lost a couple of knobs. To replace them you have to get a whole new unit. I waited for years to find one at the junk yard.

I figure there is always going to be something with every car, and this is no exception. My biggest complaint is the seats are too hard and uncomfortable for a "luxury" car. I am going to trade it for that reason.

I now have 165,000, and need a new axial because the boot is shot. This could be the reason with the shimmy and tire problem.