2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Reviews - Page 2 of 15

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 3.8 V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.8 V6 Automatic

Summary:

A pleasant surprise

Engine coolant leak due to a crack in the radiator... can't blame the car; could've been the result of a previous accident, which impacted that side of the vehicle.

EXTREMELY slow power steering rack leak; have only had to top it off once in the past two years of ownership (unfortunately GM is well known for its power steering rack leaks)

General Comments:

All I can say is wow! This was/is my first car, and well when we bought it, I was happy to get a car period, but not so excited that it was a Grand Prix, and well it surprised me. The car is extremely reliable, comfortable, and considering the gas mileage and size of the vehicle, it has considerable power... I am currently saving in hopes to purchase another one.. perhaps a GTP model??

Review Date: 8th April, 2010

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.8L supercharged from North America

Engine and transmission 3.8L supercharged Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Camaro

Summary:

Great performance value. If you don't mind FWD cars, seriously consider this one

Replaced driver's side half-shaft (CV shaft) at 120k (not surprising considering it has 280 ft-lbs of torque sent through it.)

Replaced auto-dimming mirror when I purchased the vehicle (cost me $5 at a salvage yard).

Recharged A/C at 127k.

Replaced serpentine belt at 140k due to normal wear.

HUD fades and brightens randomly (not a big enough deal to warranty spending $$$ for a new unit).

ABS and traction control non-functional (Seriously, show me a GM car that DOESN'T have the ABS light on.)

General Comments:

Outstanding performance value, especially if you have children or need usable rear seats.

GM 3800 engine is virtually bulletproof, received numerous accolades for its efficiency, simplicity and durability. Supercharged versions only make 40 more horsepower than N/A versions, but make LOTS of torque, and can be modified to make well over 300hp.

Great gas mileage, especially for such a powerful V6 in a fairly big car. I drive 35 miles one-way to work every day, and I average around 26-27mpg per tank, 25.3mpg since I bought it.

I personally am not a fan of front-drivers, so I am currently looking to replace my GTP with a GTO. It handles fairly well for having 60% of its weight on the front axles, but like most front-wheel-drive cars, it does understeer when you push it hard.

Transmission has me worried, as it shifts firmly when in performance shift mode, but if driven hard in normal mode, it slips a bit between 1-2 up-shifts at redline.

Repair and maintenance costs have been extremely low; I have paid less than $200 in repair costs, and perhaps $100 in maintenance costs in the 30k that I have put on the car.

My car has Bose sound, which makes it *very* expensive to install an aftermarket head unit, which is usually my first mod. Steering wheel control adapter, harness and installation kit (to do it right, not half-assed) cost almost $300, not counting the head unit.

There is no way to make this particular V6 sound attractive. I've looked at every exhaust system made; there isn't one that sounds good.

I traded up from an '86 Z28 to this car, so this car is high-tech compared to what I was used to. Power seats, climate control, auto-dimming power mirrors, power windows, locks, tilt, cruise; for the money you can't beat this car's amenities.

Great sleeper, I removed the GTP badges, and in a short stoplight drag I can kill pretty much anything that doesn't have a V8 or forced induction.

Review Date: 14th January, 2010

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 3.8 from North America

Previous carDodge Shadow

Summary:

Very poor, extremely undependable vehicle

The heater blower motor went at 8,000mi, 13,000mi, 30,000mi and 48,000mi.

This is a poorly designed item, and GM refuses to make it right. $250.00+ cost to me all but the first time!

Transmission went at 38,000 miles. Close to $1000.00 to put it right. GM refused to reimburse me because I exceeded the warranty mileage of 36,000. This is very petty on their part, refusing to fix an all too frequent problem with their transmissions from 1997 to 2001 because of 2,000 extra miles.

Steering rack replaced at 40,000 mile. This is outrageous at that mileage. Again, no help from GM.

General Comments:

This was my first new car and was treated as such with my wife and I, the only drivers.

It was never abused, and always had first class service as required by my Pontiac dealership.

After lodging several fruitless complaints to GM, I am currently seeking help from the BBB and our state attorney general, but considering GM's present state, I don't expect to get much, if any satisfaction.

Review Date: 7th March, 2009