2000 Pontiac Sunfire Reviews - Page 6 of 15

2000 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe SE 2.2L from North America

Engine and transmission 2.2L Automatic
Previous carFord Taurus

Summary:

Jury is still out

I recently bought this car for my daughter. It will be her first car. I hope it doesn't get worse.

The problem I have is, The Daytime Running Lights (DRL). they don't work. I have the same symptoms as some of these other folks, high-beams don't work, service light comes on.

I checked to see if I was getting power to the high-beams and I am, but when I put the headlights back in and try the high-beams, they don't work. I don't think I have a bad wiring harness because I am getting power through the wires. I'm thinking maybe the DRL relay? If anyone thinks this is the case, could you tell me where it is located?

General Comments:

I haven't owned it long enough to make any judgement on the car, I really hope it turns out to be a good car.

Review Date: 23rd April, 2007

2000 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2.4L Twin Cam from North America

Engine and transmission 2.4L Twin Cam Manual
Previous carSaturn SL

Summary:

Awesome deal!!

Power outlet fuse was blown when I purchased the car. Dealership replaced fuse without any complaints. Other than that, nothing has gone wrong :).

General Comments:

The car handles awesome!! the front seats arn't the most comfortable, but they're not bad!

Review Date: 1st April, 2007

2nd Apr 2007, 13:41

They are good little cars I must say, but the 2.4L Twin Cam engine has been known for having weak head gaskets, but if you take care of it and DON'T drive it like a sports car, it should last you for ever.

2000 Pontiac Sunfire from North America

Year of manufacture2000

Have had to replace the Multi-function switch twice. The multifucntion switch operates the headlights, signal lights and cruise. Both times I had it replaced, my high beams would not work, but my daytime lights worked. It cost approximately $250.00 to fix each time.

Head gasket, power steering pump, and fan now need to be replaced. This has been very recent. My fan only works on high, and I have the wonderful smell of anti-freeze coming in (head gasket?).. and of course a constant whine in the steering, but the power steering fluid is full (pump?). I don't even want to think how much this is going to cost, but other than this no other real problems.

General Comments:

This car has generally been fairly reliable for the past 7 years.

Review Date: 30th March, 2007

2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2.2 from North America

Year of manufacture1999
Previous carAcura Integra

Headlight wiring harness defect, no high beam lights and the DRL fade. GM and Transport Canada well aware of problem, but no recall because the defect happens gradually, and must occur suddenly in order to qualify for a recall. Unbelievable!

Transport Canada said some local dealers may goodwill the repair, GM does not seem to care if we have functioning lights.

Review Date: 7th March, 2007

2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2.2L 4 cylinder. from North America

Engine and transmission 2.2L 4 cylinder. Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Lumina

Summary:

This car sucks, don't buy one. If you have one... get rid of it

I bought this car with 67,000 miles, within a week I had to replace the oxygen sensor above the catalytic converter

After that I noticed a slight knocking sound from the engine; which has gotten a lot worse, it now sounds like a little diesel tractor.

I had more engine noise, which ended up being the timing chain, I had it replaced... just for it to start again a month later.

My Cd player has never worked, the electrical system on these cars are crap.

The taillight bulbs always go out, although no moisture is getting to them, and I never touch the bulbs when putting them in.

The #1 setting on the heat/ac blower does not work... never has.

The rear brakes are always grabbing causing the tail of the car to sink down and sometimes practically locking-up even on the most easy stops. The ABS barely helps this locking up. I've had them cleaned, and it helped for a couple weeks, now I'm being told the cylinder in the brakes is bad... It really makes for horrible snow driving, all ill do is spin since I have to drag the rear of the car around.

I have the knocking still, along with what is most likely a blown head gasket... my oil is slightly cream colored from the moisture mixing with it. The mechanic said it was from my PVC valve. I have not had a compression check done yet.

And don't forget the blow-by you can see by opening the oil cap while the engine is running.

This car has been a big p.o.s. ever since the beginning, I would hope these big multi-billion dollar companies would step up and fix the crap they produce, it is obvious almost every car of this make is having a majority of these problems also. Any suggestions would help, thanks for listening to me complain!!

General Comments:

On a rating of 1 to 100 on quality I would give this car a negative 75.

Review Date: 18th December, 2006