2004 Renault Clio Reviews - Page 2 of 10

2004 Renault Clio 1.2 from UK and Ireland

Previous carDaewoo Matiz

Summary:

Could do better Renault

The car has had a clunking from the left side (can't tell which wheel) since buying it new - no problem, but very annoying, and the Renault dealer suggested it is to do with the suspension, but no problem and normal for the model.

Six months ago I started to hear a low tick or brushing noise from the dash area (maybe from the front of the car but sounding through the dash). Over a month this grew until people outside the car were flagging me down to say it was making a heck of a racket. This turned out to be the alternator, which had worked loose and needed replacing as the brush shaft (not technical sorry!) was rocking. I replaced it with a reconditioned one and I think I can hear the dreaded tick again now.

Yesterday, driving at just under 60, and the SERV ABS lights came on. They stayed on, but on checking, the fluid level was fine and could detect nothing untoward. Since then the lights have come on - gone off - come on without any pattern or reason for it.

Having checked the Internet, I am appalled by the number of incidents around the Clio - particularly the Dynamique (mine). I am also worried now about the incidents of stalling and cutting out, as I have noticed mine cut out as I reverse to park in the drive - up to now I have put it down to my driving, but now I am not so sure.

General Comments:

Generally the car is comfortable enough to drive, but no real character to it.

It looks the part and is reasonably economical to drive, but is underpowered for pulling away rapidly. Once it is moving though it is very comfortable and quick enough for decent long distance driving.

Review Date: 27th January, 2009

1st Feb 2009, 11:30

Clunking from the front suspension is not normal for this model. I suggest you take it to a dealer who may be interested in finding the problem.

My guess would be the suspension strut.

2004 Renault Clio Extreme 1.2 from UK and Ireland

Model year2004
Year of manufacture2004

Summary:

Dangerous

Gear stick shaking in 1st gear/revs up and down.

Loosing power/mainly uphill drive.

General Comments:

Wish I'd never bought this car - when I took it for a test drive, I didn't want to go far. Just drove it round the block, and was told the shaking was not enough petrol in it!

Had it 3 weeks, and it has been back at garage more than with me.

Still can't find a fault for losing power - even after been taken to Renault diagnostics.

Currently trying for my money back - wish me luck!!

Review Date: 13th October, 2008

2004 Renault Clio Dynamique 1.5 dci turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Model year2004
Engine and transmission 1.5 dci turbo diesel Manual

Summary:

Great, but forget keeping it long term!

Has been generally good car for almost 4 years, but this month, alarmingly it started veering ever so slightly to the side on the motorway, even though I was holding the steering wheel still. Turns out it needs a new steering column - £900 + VAT.

Review Date: 23rd June, 2008

2004 Renault Clio Expression dCi 65 1.5 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 1.5 turbo diesel Manual
Previous carVolvo 850

Summary:

Great car for anyone under 6ft tall!

Nothing to report; haven't had it very long.

General Comments:

The car is great, I really like the engine, which is why I bought it.

Unfortunately I'm getting rid of it next month because I have just ordered a 2008 model Clio, which is a lot bigger and a lot more comfortable.

The old Clio is not good on the back for 4 hours driving, which I do every weekend, and it's also not that great for people over 6ft (i.e me!); my legs are always brushing the steering wheel and you feel very cramped. Anyway enough of me, let's get to the rest of the car!

General build quality of the 2004 model is OK, however the feel of the stalks and handbrake feel very cheap. I know this has been addressed in the new model.

The carpets are really hard to vacuum because of the material.

Fuel economy is great as long as you drive properly (under 3000rpm). I was getting 55-75Mpg.

Generally though the car is lovely and I would recommend to anyone who is under 6ft tall! But loved having it for the 4 months that I did.

Review Date: 28th March, 2008