2003 Renault Laguna Initiale 2.2 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Very dangerous fault; why can this happen, aren't there safety devices inbuilt to prevent this?

Catastrophic gearbox failure while driving on the M4, resulting in the front wheels locking while driving along! Apparently I'm not the only one this has happened to.

Would really like to know if anybody got anywhere with claims/damages claims? Gearbox and engine require replacement. The crankshaft was also damaged, hence engine damage.

Review Date: 19th March, 2008

2003 Renault Laguna Privilege 1.8 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Really nice car to drive, but unfortunately too many problems

There was a rattling noise coming from the engine area, which was never fixed, even though I took it to the dealer I bought it from on numerous occasions and reported the fault - it always came back to me the same way.

The car would not start at about 37000 miles. Had to get the car lifted and taken to the dealer. It was away for about 2 weeks before I got it back. Something was wrong with the chip in the key card and it had to be replaced.

The drivers seat was worn badly when I bought the car. Then at approx 38000 miles, the passenger seat started to move up and down freely. The ram had no effect at all. It would have move up and down about 5 inches, or more, when braking, going over bumps etc. It did not feel safe for the passenger. It cost £700 to fix.

At 40000 miles the rear brake light on the boot stopped working - took it to the dealer and they never fixed it. When a friend came over from Scotland he was able to fix it. The bulb was loose.

General Comments:

The car was really comfortable when driving and it was good at handling. I think I had more problems with the dealer than the car gave me. The dealer was unable to determine causes etc.

I have now went and bought myself a Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Zetec.

Review Date: 26th September, 2007

2003 Renault Laguna Dynamique 1.9 DCI from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Sexy! With plenty of poke!

None.

General Comments:

It was the most beautiful vehicle I ever owned.

It was sexy, it was fast, and it was my ideal car.

It never gave me a single problem. I had it regularly serviced by Renault. In fact Renault recommended servicing every 18000 miles because of the then new DCI engine design, however I ignored this and made sure the oil was changed every 9000 miles with a full service at 18000 miles.

I left UK to emmigrate to Canada, and sold the car to a close friend who wanted it badly after seeing it, and since he has told he's had no problems with it. To be honest, any bad review may be for the petrol models, but I have always driven diesel and found it to be reliable.

The interior is elegant; the sporty half leather bucket seats are so comfortable, and the 6 speed gearbox is good for economy as well as performance.

I bought a demo model with 7k on it, and some extra options; the comfort pack and climate control, which was nifty.

If someone has had a bad experience with this vehicle, it's most likely they didn't keep up with servicing, or just got a bad build, which is just unlucky.

Review Date: 13th June, 2007

2003 Renault Laguna DCI diesel 6 speed from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Like the car, but disapointed with the faults

Dashboard rattles.

Headrest broken.

Gearbox has just gone.

Clutch has just gone.

Occasionally decides it won't start.

Hole on key card at wrong end (think this is common to all key cards for the laguna).

Carpet cover above pedals has come away meaning my feet are often mixed up in wires.

General Comments:

Nice smooth car - even at speed.

Sticks to bends well.

Is smart looking - inside and out.

Is very comfortable.

Nice sound on factory radio and CD player.

Economical.

Lots of good gadgets inside.

Review Date: 26th May, 2007

2003 Renault Laguna Extreme 1.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Poor

I particularly want to draw attention to the keys supplied with Renault Mk.2. They are in the form of a metal card, which is very easily lost and at £145, very expensive to replace. There is a hole in the card, but it is impossible to put this card on a keyring since the card has to be inserted in the ignition hole side first.

After losing a card, I used the replacement on a day to day basis, and recently this failed when I was away from home. The card contains a manual key, and I looked in the instruction book to see how it worked. The book says remove a plastic cap from the drivers door to reveal a keyhole. In fact, the keyhole is on the passenger side.

When I tried to operate the manual system, I discovered that the key was a blank. My Renault garage demonstrated that replacements keys randomly come from the factory as blanks. What is more, I enquired of the garage as to why, when using a manual key, it is only possible to lock the passenger door. They said that the only way to secure the car with the manual key is to exit via the boot!! My garage tell me that a further two keys have arrived from the factory, but the manual key in each is a blank.

General Comments:

Unless you are very, very careful, expect high running costs on keys alone.

Review Date: 21st May, 2007

30th Jun 2007, 13:08

Seem like youre just a clumsy forgetful old so and so who has to have a moan at something.

I have a 2004 initiale - no problems and my spare key card is kept with my credit cards in my wallet. Can't do that with normal keys!!

9th Oct 2007, 16:56

Simply don't lose the key then, and in fairness it's a risk with anything that requires a key. Don't have a problem with the key, it's thin and light weight and fits nicely in my wallet.

Anyway it's a key.

I have the 1.8 16v model, just to mention something about the car itself. Looks good inside and out, comfortable, handles well and there's plenty of room in it.

A negative point is that a granny on an electric scooter will have you at the lights as the engine is underpowered, but it still drives well around town and on the motorway.