2003 Renault Laguna Privilege 3.0V6 from Netherlands

Summary:

Fast and anonymous

The passenger window rolled down without touching the button from time to time, fixed immediately under warranty.

The navigation system gave up a few times on long drives, most of the times it worked again after restarting the engine, but sometimes it would come back after an hour or so. This was checked out a few times by the dealership, but they could not find anything wrong with it.

Brake disks had to be replaced after 20.000 km's, because of vibrations when braking.

General Comments:

Value for money, I would say. Very smooth ride, it even bothered me a bit the V6-sound was barely hearable inside. This is definitely not a sporty car, but more of a fast grand tourer. You can really surprise a lot of people at traffic lights and on the German autobahns, because of the fast acceleration, it just keeps on going to 200+ km/h. The steering is too light to throw it around bends and the ride too comfortable (it needs the 17 inch alloys) for it to be sporty. The gearbox is not as smooth as a Mercedes or BMW, and I would prefer a manual. Fuel economy around 8 km's to the liter (could be better if you drive more economically). Though lots of drivers had lots of technical problems with the Laguna, this is not my experience. Also because of the vast number of Laguna's sold, this car depreciates enormously. If you want a cheap, but fast family car, you can pick up one of these very cheap, go for the "Initiale" model (everything is on it).

Review Date: 21st September, 2006

2003 Renault Laguna Initial 1.9 dCi from UK and Ireland

Summary:

I've fallen in love with this car! Beats the competition on looks any day

Nothing yet!

General Comments:

My wife has had a Renault Megane Convertible for 5 years now and due to this cars reliability and quality I felt happy purchasing a Renault Laguna.

The car has 58000 miles on the clock and every extra going, probably because it was pre-owned by Renault.

Anyway, so far everything seems as it should be. No squeaks, from inside, no rattles from outside so I'm pleased with my purchase.

Radio and Sat Nav work and as expected.

NO Sat Nav is reliable in central London as the signal is bounced off buildings when it's not blocked altogether. Road alterations are a matter of fact in London so use an A-Z. I use SatNav as back-up, I always check maps first.

I'll update this review as I go, and since I'm a Mini Cab driver, lets hope this is a good one.

Review Date: 17th March, 2006

2003 Renault Laguna Privilege 3.0 V6 from Mexico

Summary:

Very fun to drive, great electronics

- Battery replaced at 10,000 kilometres ($90 US dollars).

- Two bobbins replaced at 33,000 kilometres ($200 US dollars).

- 4 disc breaks replaced at 40,000 ($1100 US dollars).

- Driver seat used to squeak, but the infernal sound fixed by itself.

General Comments:

- Excellent car although quite expensive to run when compared to my previous 4 Volkswagens (3 Jetta and 1 Golf).

- The low end torque the 3.0 V6 makes is amazing and pushes well at any speed up to 240 km/h. Thrilling sound with the K&N high flow air filter installed which makes you remember the Volkswagen'ss VR6's from the 90's.

- The 5 gears are long, but go well with the high torque; they seem to be designed specially for Mexico.

- Although it handles quite well, specially in the highways, on winding roads it inclines more than you'd prefer, and makes you be more cautious.

- Electronic traction control, anti-slip, brake assist, ABS work great as let you slip a little into corners before being over protective.

- Very comfortable, and silent.

- Amazing seats, specially on long trips.

- Letizia talks to you whenever you don't use your seat-belt or something goes wrong.

- Awful dealers, when the bobbins went wrong they couldn't detect the problem, even when I told them that a bobbin could be a possibility. I had to change it myself.

- CONCLUSION: Great car, dealers not recommended, buy your parts and find someone who knows a little of mechanics and ask him to change them.

Review Date: 8th November, 2005