1997 Saturn SC Reviews - Page 4 of 10

Year of manufacture1996
First year of ownership1997
Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carChevrolet S-10

Summary:

Buy a Honda at least their made in the U.S.A

I'm glad I kept my S-10 @225k runs like a champ.

Mad oil consumption @75.

Loud knock @80k.

Excessive Oil leak from valve cover @100k.

Stuttering, stumbling and stalling @125k.

General Comments:

This car needs constant checks and maintenance to remain reliable, Lucas will save it.

Not very comfortable interior.

Handles well in any conditions.

Review Date: 5th March, 2008

6th Mar 2008, 10:59

Actually these Saturns were made in the U.S. Which engine do you have? I'm beginning to see weird problems with Saturn engines which is odd to me since I have known people who have driven these cars forever without problems. The valve cover "gasket" is a problem with Saturns as it is not a real gasket. It is, instead, a sprayed-on silicone seal. This was a cost-saving measure at the factory, but it only lasts about 100,000 miles.

Unfortunately, many automakers are doing this now, I know even the Mercedes C240 has sprayed-on valve cover "gaskets."

1997 Saturn SC from North America

Year of manufacture1997
Most recent distance220000 miles
Previous carVolkswagen Polo

Summary:

Great car if well maintained

I loved this car. I had moved to America in 2004 and wanted a cheap car to do some traveling. My boss' wife in fact spotted this car for sale on the side of the road and I bought it soon after.

Apart from the usual wear and tear stuff - brakes, the odd oil leak, tyres etc nothing really went wrong with this this cheap little gem. I had her serviced regularly at a back yard Barry sort of place, and that was all it ever required. Parts were cheap as chips and it was so economical to run.

The only thing this car didn't manage for me was that it failed to impress the American ladies, but that's a whole different story.

General Comments:

I am back in Australia now, and before I left the land of the free, the big, and the guns, I sold it to a New Yorker who asked if Australia was part of America?! Consequently I jacked the price an extra 20 bucks on account of ignorance.

This car got me everywhere. I drove it twice to Toronto from Tampa, Florida and back without so much as a skip. This too in the middle of winter mind you.

I miss that little Saturn. She was a beauty and I hope that fellah who bought it off me is having plenty more fun.

I now have a bigger GM HSV with a gut wrenching V6, and burning so much gas that it's paying off the Saudi sheik's new castle.

Review Date: 1st March, 2008

1997 Saturn SC SC2 1.9 DOHC from North America

Year of manufacture1997
Engine and transmission 1.9 DOHC Manual
Distance when acquired120000 kilometres
Previous carLincoln Mark VIII

Summary:

Cheap and reliable

Other than wear items not much has gone wrong with this car. It does consume a lot of oil in between oil changes, but that's something I can live with considering how reliable this vehicle has been. It has not left me stranded yet. I replaced things like the battery, brakes, tires, plugs, starter, mostly wear and tear items.

General Comments:

I love how it is cheap on gas and its very reliable compared to the other vehicle I owned prior to it. Its quick enough and it runs great.

Review Date: 16th January, 2008

1997 Saturn SC SC2 1.9 DOHC from North America

Year of manufacture1996
Engine and transmission 1.9 DOHC Manual
Previous carChevrolet S-10

Summary:

It is a great car for what it is; cheap transportation

Catalytic Converter.

Belt and tensioner.

Valve Cover Gasket.

Shift Cables.

Starter.

Coolant Temp. Sensor.

Fog Light Bulb.

Headlight Bulb.

Parking Break stopped working.

The interior of this vehicle rattles like no other.

General Comments:

If you want a car that will get you from point A to point B in a relatively inexpensive manner, this may be a great car for you.

It has adequate power and free of large problems. There will be the occasional small problem with this car like the items listed above. Granted, I've driven the car for 4.5 years and 53,000 miles of consistent wear and tear.

These vehicles can be had for next to nothing, so if you are college student or you travel a long distance to work and don't have the funds for a new civic, the saturn is a great car.

Review Date: 25th August, 2007