20th Feb 2013, 16:05

I bought a second hand '02 Skoda Fabia 1.4 MPI with 75,000 miles about six months ago. Appealed to me as it looked like it had had a gentle life owned by older people (and the tyres needed replacing due to age rather than wearing, which is always a good sign!). Lots of minor problems with it though including:

- Taking a long time for engine to warm up with poor economy until it has.

- Water leaks into and slightly through the doors in heavy rain.

- Problems with doors locking and unlocking when there has been heavy rain (presumably as water has been getting into the electrics). On one occasion I returned to the car in a public car park, and it had unlocked itself and wound down its front electric windows!

- Juddery start from warm. And you can't touch the accelerator when starting until the revs settle, otherwise it cuts out.

- And then today the engine warning light has come on.

All in 3,000 miles. I still kind of like it for some reason though. But I wouldn't buy another.

21st Feb 2013, 04:56

Good morning,

My Skoda Fabia 1.2, 2008, was sold to me with a number of problems that were obvious to me, but the dealer managed to divert my attention on the matters, and today I am suffering.

First thing is my air conditioning. From day 1, it never worked correctly, but when taking it back to the dealer, they rapidly managed to touch things I did not quite understand and my A/C started to function. They even told me that they had changed the evaporator. Well 3 years later I have no A/C and the warranty is finished.

My EPC sensor light comes on, and the car stops and loses power. Though the heating of the car was always there. I was using the car. I had to, it is my only way of moving around. I need my A/C, but don't have $1500.00 to fix it as it is the price they said it would cost. Thank you for any advice; I can't stand up for more than 100 minutes.

2nd Aug 2013, 17:38

You have to go direct to Skoda for that. £115-120 for it. Don't get it from anywhere else, trust me.

2nd Aug 2013, 18:03

I had the fuel problem too. Had it tested, and it came back as fuel trim too rich; too much fuel going into the engine. Not enough O2.

2nd Aug 2013, 18:06

There is a video on YouTube showing you how to fix the leak problem.

22nd Dec 2013, 04:59

Hi, just reading reviews on Fabias. Got one given to me, and they all seem to be rubbish.

Your uphill power problem is the same as mine; is this normal? Was considering scrapping my 51 plate 1.7 DTi Astra, with faults, but nowhere like the Fabia.

I think I'll just drive the Fabia to the scrapyard; they don't seem to be very good.

23rd May 2014, 13:33

Think I would find another garage if I was you. Skodas are as reliable as VW, built in the same factory, and often the same parts!

29th Sep 2014, 09:54

Hi. I recently (2 weeks ago) bought a Fabia 1.4 Comfort 01 reg, with full service history. I thought fine, it has been looked after. 3 days later, all of the dash lights came on and the engine stopped (in the middle of Tunbridge Wells High St). I was returned to my home by a recovery company, alternator fault - replaced.

The car was left for 3 days, I went to start it on the following morning, no power, battery flat. Skoda dealer diagnosis was battery U/S, battery replaced, fine for a day, no power again in morning, battery exchanged. Now on 25th 09 2014, no power again, Skoda dealership said battery fault again.

Can anyone advise me why the electrics seem to drain power? I have looked and cannot find anything that may be causing power loss.

Many thanks. Brian.