1999 Subaru Forester Reviews - Page 5 of 11

1999 Subaru Forester L 2.5 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Previous carNissan Pulsar

Summary:

Well, it's been better than the Nissan Pulsar

The car started out by chewing up expensive tires. I now buy the cheapest I can find with the highest treadwear rating.

The clock stopped working. If you know how to solder, take it out and solder the components back on that have fallen off the circuit board (I found 3). They have a serious 'cold solder' problem. Mine worked after re-soldering.

The heat shield started rattling early on, and still rattles after several attempts to fix it.

I have a nasty oil leak from what looks to be the rear seal.

The ride has been rough since I bought it. Just noticed oil leaking from the rear strut. Bought new ones, not installed yet.

The knock sensor had to be replaced for the engine check light.

The radio knobs are now malfunctioning, can't adjust the volume without fighting with it.

General Comments:

Other than the problems I've had with the car, it's been great.

Nice paint.

I'm at 160,000+ miles and still haven't had to replace the rear brake shoes; the rear brakes must not be working either.

Review Date: 16th August, 2007

1999 Subaru Forester from North America

Engine and transmission Manual
Distance when acquired203000 miles
Most recent distance206000 miles
Previous carHonda Civic

Loved my car when I bought it used for about 2 months before I had to get the head gaskets replaced and there was a crack in the actual head. $3000 is what I was quoted for all the work and parts. The head gaskets were replaced by the previous owner at $100,000 miles as well. My car now has $206,000 miles. This is clearly an issue with these cars and there should be some system built in so that we don't have to continue paying for these repairs on the gaskets.

Review Date: 6th August, 2007

1999 Subaru Forester LX 2.5 from North America

Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

A big piece of CRAP

Previous owner problems (found out after buying the vehicle from a dealer - which said there was no problems with the car).

Three bearings on the front driver's side wheel.

Two bearings on the front passenger's side wheel.

Transmission was replaced.

I believe the previous owner received a brand new Forester since his previous one had the same problem three times (lemon law). This is the only reason I can think of why he would be driving another one of these terrible vehicles.

When I bought the vehicle with 30,000 I also purchased an extended protection plan (5yrs/80,000) for $900. It was the best thing I did. When I reached 80,000 I had $1700 in repair costs which cost me nothing, except for the $900, since I had the protection plan.

Problems since I had the car -

Three bearings on the front driver's side wheel.

(On the third time, the dealer also replaced the shaft which seemed to fix the overall bearing problem).

Two bearings on the front passenger's side wheel.

Leaking head gasket and transmission seal.

Clock went out.

Cup holder in back seat is broken and will not stay up.

Muffler shields rattle. I decided not to fix this myself so other people see and hear what a piece of crap this vehicle is.

General Comments:

If anyone asks me how I like the vehicle, I tell them stay away from Subura vehicles. There are tons of unsatisfied Subaru owners on the Internet. The problems are similar and the solution from Subaru seems to be the same also - Subaru does not care and will not back their vehicles. My ultimate goal is to prevent anyone from making the same mistake I did - buying a Subaru.

Caution - DO NOT BUY A SUBARU. You have been warned.

Previous owners should get together and file a lawsuit against Subaru.

Review Date: 16th June, 2007

26th Sep 2010, 07:25

My 1999 Forester has also had to have head gasket replaced, and now is going to need transmission work. I thought they were reliable until I bought one!