1999 Subaru Forester L from North America

Summary:

All wheel drive works as advertised

Battery failed the first year

Front rotors have to be turned or replace every 10,000 miles.

Radio stopped working in the third year.

Upper clock stopped working in the third year.

A/C stopped working at 60,000 miles. Cost for the A/C repair was $1300.

I now have an intermittent problem with the wipers not working when the car is turned on.

General Comments:

Car rides rough no matter what tires you put on it.

Back seat is too small for adults.

Review Date: 21st August, 2004

1999 Subaru Forester S from North America

Summary:

A dependable car, but only when under warranty

After 13,000 miles the speedometer failed which was replaced under warranty.

Around 10,000 miles I noticed the scent of antifreeze coming from the heater air. The head gasket was starting to leak and was replaced under warranty.

Around 40,000 miles I had the head gasket replaced under warranty due to the same circumstance.

Around 50,000 miles I noticed a drive train sound pitch change while traveling at 60 miles per hour in fourth gear. The car is currently in the shop.

I noticed that the wheel alignment is not correct as the car shakes while I drive. The odd thing is that I have not run into any curbs since I have owned the car.

The gear box has a different sound to it while driving around 60 miles per hour in fourth gear. This is a new sound which started several days ago. The same sound occurs at 90 miles per hour in fifth gear so it is definitely related to a specific area on the tachometer.

General Comments:

Thus far everything has been covered under warranty. However, my car is currently at Subaru having the clutch, gear box, and wheel alignment checked.

After the last head gasket repair I received a notice from Subaru stating that the 1999 Subaru Forester had a problem with a faulty head gasket. It stated that a specific antifreeze had to be added in order for an extension of an 8 year or 80,000 mile warranty to take place.

The cabin is very roomy, the seats are very comfortable for long drives and the all wheel drive handles well in the snow.

Even with the stated problems and general comments I would still purchase a Subaru. The newer versions are better and if I had the money I would trade my 1999 in for a 2003 or 2004 Forester. Meanwhile I will just keep my 1999 Forester.

Review Date: 22nd July, 2004

1999 Subaru Forester L from North America

Summary:

A good car

I own a 1999 Forester. The right rear wheel bearing had to be replaced at 26,000 miles (in 2001), covered by warranty. At 112,000 miles the left and the right wheel bearings were replaced (not covered by warranty). The dealer indicates that the design of the bearing has been changed. According to the dealer, Subaru will not warranty the latest wheel bearing failures. I am disappointed that Subaru did not recognize this flaw sooner.

General Comments:

I have been pleased with the all wheel drive and the performance in snow/ice conditions and like the car for the most part. The Subaru is far superior to the American made cars I have owned in the past.

Review Date: 12th July, 2004

1999 Subaru Forester L from North America

Summary:

It's met and exceeded my expectations

The battery died.

General Comments:

This car has performed beautifully and been extremely reliable. I've made a point of keeping to the maintenance schedule and the car has paid me back in spades. (The work done at the two dealerships this car has been taken to has always been solid, without problems or aggravation.)

The car is comfortable, peppy, and has stood up to the long winters of northern Vermont like a champ.

If I could change one thing about it, it would be to improve the gas mileage, which averages around 24 miles per gallon. Given that that's a result of the all-wheel drive, which has performed beautifully on treacherous roads, I can live with that single flaw.

Review Date: 6th April, 2004