1999 Subaru Forester L from North America

Summary:

It makes sense

This car eats tires. The all wheel drive may be the suspect. I'm not a hard driver and there is absolutely nothing defective about the alignment, still, the car devours the treadson tires faster than any car I've previously owned.

General Comments:

Overall, I think the car is great for harsh weather. Its all wheel drive system isn't at all intimidated by snow or slippery road conditions.

The interior comfort leave much to be desired, but after a while you tend to get used to it.

This car offers as much as a larger SUV with the convenience of better gas mileage.

Review Date: 27th February, 2004

16th May 2004, 12:20

Tires can be a problem, but my subaru has done well with tires as long as you buy good ones and rotate on a fairly regular basis. I have 106,--- and it's only my second set. This is a lot of freeway and good amount of city driving.

1999 Subaru Forester L 4 cylinder., Gas from North America

Summary:

This consumers report? A bust buy!

Narrow initial idling RPM variability occured soon after purchase at about 30,000 miles. This variability in idle rpm widened to the point of fluctuating between stalling and 3000 rpm by 85,000 miles. Dealer suggested replacing the TSP sensor as well as the timing belt (which had only 20 k miles on it from an unrelated incident) because of potential excessive wear.

Right wheel bearing recently began making noise and will need to be replaced.

Grand dealer total to repair = $1995.00, none of it covered by Subaru.

General Comments:

We have in general appreciated the performance, handling, comfort, safety and gas efficiency of our Forester. Needless to say, we have been severely underwhelmed by its ruggedness and basic maintenance expense. Subaru and its dealerships have been completely dismissive regarding any culpability on their part and have left us to sustain all costs. We would not recommend anyone buying any new or used Subaru without a comprehensive and no doubt expensive maintenance warranty.

Review Date: 28th September, 2003

1st Dec 2003, 07:48

I also had to replace the front wheel bearing on my 1999 forester after only about 35K, but the local firestone garage did it for 300$

Why even bother going to the dealer unless they will cover it?

25th Jan 2006, 12:17

This comment is for the Subaru tech who wrote last. I just purchased a 1999 Forester with 74,000 miles. I checked on any recalls for this model and only found the brake master cylinder recall. I'm currently experiencing random check engine light problems that has so far resulted in a CO2 replacement, but after about a week, the CEL has been on and off several times more (gas cap is on tight!). The car's going back in tomorrow to see what code was recorded this time, but was wondering about your comment on having your local mechanic check for campaigns, recalls, things of this nature. Any advice on where to look would be greatly appreciated!

1999 Subaru Forester L 2.5 from North America

Summary:

Solid car with exception to the hesitation issue

Car hesitates badly when first started. This is the only time this occurs. All else works wonderfully.

General Comments:

Good reliable car... handles great in all conditions and doesn't empty my wallet at the gas station.

Review Date: 20th September, 2003

9th Jan 2006, 13:28

I also had a hesitation issue. It was recently resolved after the valve cover gasket was replaced. I recently started using synthetic oil and it had leaked through the valve gasket covering all the spark plugs and wires in oil. The hesitation was there before. I speculate that the valve gasket was defective before synthetic oil was used, but there was no visible symptom except the hesitation. Since the synthetic oil is flows through the tiniest cracks, it helped me track down the leak. You may want to check out the valve gasket.

9th Jan 2006, 17:33

How would a leaking valve cover gasket be related to acceleration hesitation? It isn't like a blown head gasket, for which you might experience some loss of compression.