2002 Suzuki XL-7 Limited 3.7 from North America

Summary:

This car has been very reliable

Brake power boost went out around 100000 miles.

A/C out at 168000.

General Comments:

Okay, I have a 2002 Suzuki XL7 Limited. This has been a great car until 168000 miles.

My A/C clutch went out. The dealer wants $2500 dollars to repair. A repair shop close to me wants $1500. I can buy the parts needed for about $700. total. I will still need someone to evacuate my freon and then spend a whole lot of time trying to fix it. Then what next?

I guess I'm just cheap and don't want to spend money on new. That why I bought this in the first place. It was about $8000 cheaper than anything comparable, and they offered 0% interest. I'd buy again, but they went and made it a whole lot bigger and a whole lot more money. Time to move on.

Review Date: 30th June, 2010

2002 Suzuki XL-7 from North America

Air conditioner went out 2 weeks after the warranty ran out from the factory.

Belt squeals, and I am replacing the brakes for the second time in the past three years today.

I love the car, but it sure gets hot sitting at the stoplights. Also in the winter time, my feet freeze because there is no vent on the drivers side. I just pray for Spring and Fall.

I paid full price for a demonstrator. Much more than I wanted to, but it was the only car the dealership seemed to want to sell me. Recently the dealership closed. Wonder why?

General Comments:

From all the comments I have read, the air conditioning should be on recall. They should replace them without cost to the owner. They should redesign the vent system for heat and air.

Review Date: 11th August, 2009

2002 Suzuki XL-7 LX 6.0L from North America

Summary:

Would love it even more if it didn't scream at me. =/

My boyfriend's mom gave me this car a little over a year ago - we gave her his Jeep Wrangler for trade. I love it, but since I got it the AC has not worked. Took it to a mechanic and he said the same thing - the air compressor was frozen and it would be a few grand to replace. Not worth it to me - I just roll with the windows down.

About a month ago we made a trip down south to visit family, and about half way there, the power steering belt broke. We drove the next 2 1/2 hours with out power steering. Luckily, it was a fairly simple fix.

For the past few weeks though the car has been making a very loud and annoying screaming noise - I have NO idea what is causing it. If it doesn't start up right when the car starts, it does it for the first few seconds after I press on the gas... Any ideas?

I have a slow oil leak, too - not too sure where it's coming from and it has been there for at least a year.

Lastly, there's a shortage in the wiring to the tail lights. Sometimes my right brake light won't work, sometimes it does. Hopefully it'll always work if a cop is behind me. =)

General Comments:

I really love this car. It is very spacious, comfortable, and stylish. The newer models aren't very appealing to me.

I wish the mechanics on it were built better, but what can you expect? All the companies itch for is money. After reading that probably more than 95% of the cars AC compressors went out so soon, I think Suzuki should have recalled it and replaced them.

Besides that, I really enjoy having this car. It makes a great first car for anyone - it is my first car because it's easy to handle, it's bigger but not too big to be scared to drive/park/etc... And a great travel/family car.

Review Date: 29th July, 2009

10th Apr 2011, 10:53

Hi, I'm not sure if you have had this problem fixed yet, as it is relatively simple. Your fan belt is slipping. I don't know if it's called a fan belt in the US. It probably wasn't adjusted when you fitted the new power steering belt, if it wasn't the same one.

6th Jan 2012, 13:39

Mine did the same, but the belt was tight to the manufacturer's spec., so I just sprayed belt dressing on it from an auto parts store, and all is quiet.