2002 Suzuki XL-7 2.6 from North America

Summary:

The best SUV out there. The 2002s seem to be the better ones, awesome

I researched for weeks, and narrowed it down; Suzuki was one of my options. I found one used from a local dealer.

When I took it out for a drive, I was in love with everything about it. Bought it on the spot. But it did make a squealing noise when I first started it up. The owner said he needed to spray a belt, plus he was doing the inspection.

I had read all the reviews, and most of them were about the A/C compressor going up, and the cost was way too much for me, being on a limited income. But I also read that if that belt is squealing, to have it replaced so it won't mess up the compressor. I told the owner this when I picked it up, but he said he sprayed it, and it was fine, until I started it. He gave me a 30 day warranty, and it started making a noise when I was driving, so I took it back, and he replaced the belt for nothing since I was still under warranty.

I had it serviced recently: oil change, transmission fluid and filter, air filter, etc. My friend noticed a noise, and replaced the timing chain. When he was in there, he went ahead and changed the plugs, thermostat, and a few other things before he put the cover back on. The cost was 1,000.00 includes parts.

General Comments:

This is the nicest auto I've ever owned. It handles well, nice smooth drive, feels nice and tight, and has never left me sitting. Everything still works fine on it. You can tell it was well taken care of.

I don't drive it hard, and I don't put a lot of miles on it, maybe 5,000 a year. I check my oil, and check for leaks. If I hadn't have read about that belt for the A/C, which the owner didn't even know about, and he has a garage, it would have went out within a few more days.

I hope to have my Suzuki for a long time; the inside looks brand new. I can't say enough good about it, and at 114,000 miles, it's just getting broken in.

Not all autos are a given, no matter what the reviews. Sometimes they come from the factory with issues. If you buy it used, no matter how good it looks or drives, depending on a lot of ifs, you're still taking a chance. When I test drove mine, I got it out on the highway to get it up to 70 to make sure it didn't shimmy or shake; it drove as smooth as glass, and I kept an eye on the gauges.

I'm a single female, and consider myself lucky. I've had lemons before. Can't say enough good about it.

Review Date: 27th December, 2014

2002 Suzuki XL-7 from North America

Summary:

They should change the name from Suzuki to Sosuky

The back door does not lock.

The interior roof is starting to get brown spots.

Power steering leaked.

Air compressor went out (less than 100k miles).

Power steering pump going out.

Headlights keep going out. You have to remove the grille to replace.

Side trim falling off.

General Comments:

I had wanted this vehicle when it first came out. I got it, and I was happy with it, until all of the listed problems started happening.

The 4wd works great.

This used to be an awesome vehicle, but now it is not. When you fix one thing, something else breaks.

Review Date: 27th December, 2010

2002 Suzuki XL-7 2.7 gas engine from North America

Summary:

Good truck, tough interior and ride. Decent value for the money

Timing chain tensioners (probably one maybe more) - rattling noise on startup usually tips you off that they are worn. $1200 repair. Unusual for this sort of design. It happened at just over 80,000 km.

Intermittent Service Engine Soon (SES) light is an on/off situation right now. Trying to track it down before it has to go to a shop to get the code or codes read. Could be an O2 sensor or just a loose wire to the computer. Performance doesn't seem to be affected yet.

Rear suspension thump at low speeds over curbs and bumps, like when you pull into your driveway from the street onto your parking area. I'm guessing worn rear shocks, because that's where I think the noise is coming from.

General Comments:

This is actually a pretty tough little truck. And that is what you can expect if you are buying one of these. It is not a CUV, Cute-Ute or crossover. This is a fully framed box with a body over suspension design.

The problem I see is that it is neither as big as a mid to full sized SUV that is capable of doing the same things as this vehicle - and yet it doesn't offer any performance advantages for being a smaller, narrower SUV.

The 2.7 engine is just not enough for a two ton beast like this one. You really have to dip into the throttle to get going, and it is not easy to get those meager 183 ponies and skimpy 180 lb/feet of torque awake to answer your call.

That means bad gas mileage in the 18 - 22 mpg range. Not really great for a smallish people carrier with limited cargo room.

But despite its hefty weight and hard seats, and that pokey 2.7 V-6, there is an endearing quality to the toughness factor. It has a low range gearset for 4x4 mode. None of those sissy CUV's can do that. It has a cool "UN, NATO" officiousness to it. This would be right at home in the Green Zone in Iraq. You get the feeling this thing won't/can't/will not ever quit on you.

But before you buy one: look to the Toyota 4Runner - also a full frame SUV with similar abilities and cargo room... but a MUCH MUCH better ride and handling compromise, and a far more refined feel and drive.

Review Date: 23rd August, 2010

4th Oct 2010, 16:48

Of course the XL7 doesn't ride as well as the Toyota. You can buy one of these tough vehicles for half of what you pay for the Toyota. I personally love my Suzuki SUV (99 Grand Vitara) and appreciate the value that it is.

10th Oct 2010, 13:02

Well that is my point. If you are willing to compromise on ride and interior room, as well slightly cheaper build quality and materials - the Suzuki is a good choice.

But if you have a few thousand dollars more to spend anyway, go look at the 4Runner, especially from 2003 forward. They were redesigned quite a bit. You can even get a V8 that won't get gas mileage any worse than a large V6.