2002 Suzuki XL-7 Reviews - Page 5 of 8

Model year2002
Year of manufacture2001
Most recent distance52000 kilometres
Previous carPontiac LeMans

Summary:

Great bang for your buck

Both of the cigarette lighter/power ports blew the fuse multiple times while running a laptop within the first week of owning the car.

The timing belt was out of sync soon after the purchase.

The left rear brake light burned out within 2 years, and when the dealer repaired it, both lights were no longer working, and the remote lock open failed to work.

Brake light always came on after the brakes froze during the cars second winter.

General Comments:

This car is a great utility car for carrying family and loads.

The middle doors and middle seat leg room is fantastic, but the 3rd row seat is really only good for kids.

The gas mileage is terrible.

Excellent value for an SUV which has many features for a great price.

Review Date: 23rd March, 2005

24th Mar 2005, 18:54

If the gas mileage is terrible (depending on your definition), you are either used to a hybrid Insight, or you have no clue what "good mileage" in an SUV is, or you don't know how to keep your mileage up over the years in a car.

Replace the PCV valve, clean the combustion chambers, add cleaners to the gas for your fuel system, replace your fuel filter, and make sure your tires are at the correct pressure, and that will help your mileage by a ton.

Compared to most SUVs, the XL-7 really is not that bad of mileage. It's higher than similar sized competitors vehicles. But good choice, going with a Suzuki. They truly are the best cars around.

27th Jul 2007, 17:11

Re mileage: sounds like the engine timing is still off; we get between 25 and 35 MPG (we drive with light feet admittedly) when cruising and 5-10 less in local driving (yes, we have a 2001 XL-7 with rear air and 4WD, honest!).

If you can locate a garage you trust (and good luck with that), have them re-check the timing.

Also, always buy your gas at the same station and pick a station with lots of traffic (chances are their fuel never sits in the underground tank long enough to collect water). Our local Kwik-Fill has cars in it day and night, opening to closing, and I have never (in 30+ years) noticed any of the performance problems that indicated water in the fuel.

Also, don't buy cheap tires or run them soft; buy good tires (you can get ratings at TireRack.com - look for at least a 9 rating on dry traction and 8 on noise) and run them 4 PSI (COLD pressure) over the sticker on the door. You'll save the extra money in the long run and enjoy better life and performance to boot. For example, our Michelin X-Ones have over 30,000 on them now and you can't tell they're even wearing yet!

Did I mention we love our XL-7 (except for that expensive A/C compressor, but that is another tale)?

2002 Suzuki XL-7 touring 6 cylinder from North America

Year of manufacture2002
Engine and transmission 6 cylinder Automatic
Previous carIsuzu Rodeo

Summary:

A big mistake

My automatic door opening unit did not work in the first year, but it was replaced under warranty. My gas cap door fell off after the bracket that held it on rotted and snapped. Finally my air conditioner broke down totally and I was told it would cost up to 1300 dollars to replace. Even though I had nearly 8 months left on my three warranty Suzuki told me that I had exceeded my 36000 miles and they wouldn't give me any financial help. When I asked for the phone number of the area Suzuki manager to discuss my problem I was ignored. I live near Pittsburgh so I only run an air conditioner 4 to 5 months a year. I have owned 7 new cars in my life, I am 51 and never had a problem with the other makes of cars like I have with this XL7. I will never buy another Suzuki again.

Review Date: 8th August, 2004

23rd Sep 2004, 09:08

Are you the same person who initially left a positive review in December of 2002? I noticed that your previous vehicle was an Isuzu Rodeo also.

8th Dec 2004, 18:58

Was your dealer Wright suzuki?

My AC compressor just locked up at 38,800. COntactacted suzuki about the repair also. Waiting on DM response.

Darn thing is a lease too.