2002 Suzuki XL-7 Reviews - Page 6 of 8

2002 Suzuki XL-7 from North America

Year of manufacture2002
Previous carSuzuki XL-7

Summary:

A poor design

There are air leaks through the vents.

The floor heater does not work well.

The brakes squeak.

The vehicle is hard to control in extreme wind.

The vehicle idles high when initially started and stays high for quite awhile.

It also has noisy squeaks and interior noise.

These problems were presented to the dealership and eventually to the manufacturer.

I was told they were all structural problems that could not be fixed.

Review Date: 17th May, 2004

12th Sep 2005, 18:16

To the first review when the engine is cold it will turn faster to warm up then whrn it gets up to temperature will return to it's original speed. To the comment you have a leak somewhere UV light test might reveal where.

27th Jul 2007, 17:59

@ original comments:

Re: instability on highway: assuming you have standard 16 inch steel or alloy wheels with P235/60 R16 tires; you cannot buy inexpensive tires for this vehicle; we had same issue and finally Michelin X-Ones at 4PSI (COLD) over door sticker minimized the problem. The design trades off between side-wind resistance and agility. Stiffening up the highway stability would decrease the agility. Personally, we like the handling so we just pay closer attention at speed. Potayto, potahto.

Re engine idle speed: it should drop down in a few minutes (it does not require full engine temperature)... sounds like the idle control module or solenoid isn't working properly; good luck getting competent attention on that.

Re brake squeak: probably someone forgot the anti-squeak paste on the back of the brake pads again... pretty common error.

1st Oct 2009, 21:46

Brake squeak on my XL-7 was caused by the shims on each end of the pads in front, took them out, ground about 1/16th inch off, reinstalled and no problems since.

Cheaper tires can be used on this vehicle. Switch to a 225/60-16, a little smaller tire that is off 1mph @ 60mph. Handles great with these sized tires and I get 2-3 more miles per gallon.

I agree about a UV test for coolant, but have a vacuum test done on the radiator instead of a pressure test. It's easier for air to enter the system than coolant to escape, so that would give you more reliable results.

2002 Suzuki XL-7 2.7 from North America

Year of manufacture2002
Previous carAcura Legend

Summary:

Best SUV for the money!

Nothing wrong with the car. One of the reasons I bought the 2002 was that the 2003 had a 100,000/7 year warranty. The 2002 is the same engine so I figured if they put that kind of warranty behind it, I should have no problem.

General Comments:

I did some research on mid size SUV. The 2.7 engine size is bigger than most in this class, but not tops. Nevertheless, on balance, it performs very well. There were two trade offs for me. It is a little longer than others and the price was right. I paid $11,500 from a KIA dealer in 11/03. I could have gotten a new 2004 for about 18,500 but I figured that my cost of ownership will be much less overall, and its basically the same car.

One other point that pleased me was that I frequently take my 83 old mother on errands. She is only about 5 foot tall and has to use a walker and she is very unstable. I was concerned about her ability to get in and out. I thought it might be hard for her to step up so I was prepared to buy a step rail. As it turns out, she can just stand and slide into the front seat without stepping up, then lift her legs in!

The only criticism I would have is that I would prefer a lower turning radius. I can make Uturns at most intersections OK, but I just prefer a little tighter.

One other thing. I understand that Suzuki is #1 in Japan. I have owned 3 toyotas, so if in Japan, they think more highly of Suzuki, then fine with me.

Great SUV.

Review Date: 7th April, 2004

3rd Feb 2005, 09:12

They do have one of the tightest turning radiuses' of their class.